The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Morning Glory horn restoration
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:36 pm 
Offline
Victor Jr
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:05 pm
Posts: 20
Location: WI
Hi there,

I just purchased a morning glory horn, I'm hoping to use it for my Victor II machine, however it's fairly rusty and needs to be restored. Is that something I should attempt on my own or should I find someone who can do it for me. If so, how should I go about finding someone to repair it? Please let me know.

Thanks! :clover:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Morning Glory horn restoration
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:44 pm 
Offline
Victor Jr
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:05 pm
Posts: 20
Location: WI
Or if it's something I might be able to do, how do I go about it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Morning Glory horn restoration
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:48 am 
Offline
Victor Monarch Special
Stop for a visit when in Oregon.
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:25 pm
Posts: 5748
Location: Albany, Oregon
Any chance of some photos? It is really tough to paint a large horn and not make it look repainted. I've been satisfied with painting the black body on a black and brass horn. On that type of horn your eye is drawn to the bass bell.

Jerry Blais


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Morning Glory horn restoration
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:51 am 
Offline
Victor Jr
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:05 pm
Posts: 20
Location: WI
Jerry B. wrote:
Any chance of some photos? It is really tough to paint a large horn and not make it look repainted. I've been satisfied with painting the black body on a black and brass horn. On that type of horn your eye is drawn to the bass bell.

Jerry Blais


Hi Jerry,

I would rather not paint over it if possible because it still has HMV sticker and the patent intact so I’m hoping to just remove the rust.


Attachments:
4E112FB3-A512-4D46-B964-74BC823FD642.jpeg
4E112FB3-A512-4D46-B964-74BC823FD642.jpeg [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 896 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Morning Glory horn restoration
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:53 am 
Offline
Victor Jr
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:05 pm
Posts: 20
Location: WI
Here’s another photo


Attachments:
CAF093B2-8D66-427A-8C41-5B049933EF50.jpeg
CAF093B2-8D66-427A-8C41-5B049933EF50.jpeg [ 1.89 MiB | Viewed 896 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Morning Glory horn restoration
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:37 pm 
Offline
Victor Monarch Special
Stop for a visit when in Oregon.
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:25 pm
Posts: 5748
Location: Albany, Oregon
You might use our search feature for rust removal. If you decide to repaint I'd suggest not painting around the decals. Todays decals are of such high quality, easy to apply and difficult to distinguish from originals. Jerry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Morning Glory horn restoration
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:04 pm 
Offline
Victor III
I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:39 am
Posts: 633
Location: South Carolina
Trust your gut--DON'T paint over your original decals. Why? Well, they're original!

Polish the paint on it with Blue Magic metal polish, enjoy the originality, put it on your phonograph, and blast some records through it. That's all I'd ever do. The polish really brings out a nice lustre to old paint, and protects it. The machine's old, it's okay if it looks a little aged.

To touch up rusty spots maybe get some black spray lacquer and shoot that on there with a spray can. Then use a rag and polish it in so it matches. I did this with an Edison replica horn and now it looks like mint condition again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Morning Glory horn restoration
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:24 am 
Offline
Victor Monarch Special
Stop for a visit when in Oregon.
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:25 pm
Posts: 5748
Location: Albany, Oregon
Everyone has their own valid opinion on decals. If you can save an original decal and not make it look obvious that's great. When it's not well done the repaint is obvious. Of course a partial paint restoration is different than a full repaint so avoiding the decal area may be an option.

I'm curious, how many of us try to save an original banner decal on a complete cabinet refinish?

Respectfully, Jerry B.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Morning Glory horn restoration
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline
Victor Jr
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:05 pm
Posts: 20
Location: WI
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
Trust your gut--DON'T paint over your original decals. Why? Well, they're original!

Polish the paint on it with Blue Magic metal polish, enjoy the originality, put it on your phonograph, and blast some records through it. That's all I'd ever do. The polish really brings out a nice lustre to old paint, and protects it. The machine's old, it's okay if it looks a little aged.

To touch up rusty spots maybe get some black spray lacquer and shoot that on there with a spray can. Then use a rag and polish it in so it matches. I did this with an Edison replica horn and now it looks like mint condition again.


Thank you for the advice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Morning Glory horn restoration
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:43 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:46 pm
Posts: 944
Location: riverside calif
Jerry B. wrote:
Everyone has their own valid opinion on decals. If you can save an original decal and not make it look obvious that's great. When it's not well done the repaint is obvious. Of course a partial paint restoration is different than a full repaint so avoiding the decal area may be an option.

I'm curious, how many of us try to save an original banner decal on a complete cabinet refinish?

Respectfully, Jerry B.

My opinion is always replace the decals. I have seen too many that they tried to save and you can tell the difference in the hue of the wood around it. I have replaced the decals on my horns too. It just looks better. It is very hard to tape over an old decal and not do some more damage and the paint may not match. I use satin paint and it resembles the original. If i is not bad then all you can do is clean it. I like to leave it as original as I can also as it can only be that way once. If there is too much damage all you can do is refinish. It looks far better than something half touched up. When I look at something I have only partially finished I want to go back and do the job right It takes more work. Tom


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.