Morning Glory horn restoration

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Morning Glory horn restoration

Post by JerryVan »

I would not repaint that horn. Don't worry about the rust right now. Get some automotive car polish, preferably with very fine finishing compound in it. Notice, I said polish, not wax. Work at the areas that still have paint. You'll be surprised how good that horn can look and how much the rusty areas will be de-emphasized by the rest of the horn's finish. You can then lightly sand the rusty spots, not to remove the rust 100%, but to basically smooth it over and removing the loose particles. Then, you can rub down the sanded areas with satin or semi-gloss black paint. We're not talking a repaint here, just to color the area black again to take notice away from the damage. When it's all done you can wax it or use an automotive detailing polish. Try to stay away from any products using silicone however!

I think you'll be very happy with the outcome if you're not expecting total perfection. Bottom line, you can always repaint it, but you get original only once, try to keep original as best as you can. An imperfect original beats 99% of repaints any day!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I just purchased a morning glory horn, I'm hoping to use it for my Victor II machine, however it's fairly rusty and needs to be restored.
Part of the confusion in this thread is the difference between preserving or restoring an object. There is a difference. Jerry B.

lilnipper
Victor Jr

Post by lilnipper »

Jerry B. wrote:
I just purchased a morning glory horn, I'm hoping to use it for my Victor II machine, however it's fairly rusty and needs to be restored.
Part of the confusion in this thread is the difference between preserving or restoring an object. There is a difference. Jerry B.
Oh I see, interesting. I would like to preserve the original as much as possible so that I can keep the original decals. But if it’s not able to be preserved I would be ok with repainting it. I’m new to everything and still learning but I hope that clears things up.

stevel
Victor II

Post by stevel »

As said above I would polish the paint you have and use something like Kurust to treat the rusty areas
It turns black when applied to rusty metal

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... urust-90ml

Steve

lilnipper
Victor Jr

Post by lilnipper »

stevel wrote:As said above I would polish the paint you have and use something like Kurust to treat the rusty areas
It turns black when applied to rusty metal

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... urust-90ml

Steve
Wow, that’s awesome! Thank you!