Victor Service Instructions— Early triple spring motors

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
MarkELynch
Victor II

Victor Service Instructions— Early triple spring motors

Post by MarkELynch »

Some of you may find this spring servicing instructions useful, it was sent by Victor to its dealers.

Mark
Attachments
CAF82E45-673C-4554-B481-71A0E65BD6DD.jpeg
3F3817F2-3E34-416A-BB50-120FA7466DE2.jpeg
A1AC51E6-E456-4D15-8CCB-27D62AD37C03.jpeg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Victor Service Instructions— Early triple spring motors

Post by Phono-Phan »

Great information. Thanks for posting it.
Ken Brekke

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Yes, great information. Very helpful. It also finally answers the question how to install a new spring that comes with a retaining ring. No need to manually wind it in, just push it into the spring barrel.

Thank you very much!
Andreas

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

alang wrote:Yes, great information. Very helpful. It also finally answers the question how to install a new spring that comes with a retaining ring. No need to manually wind it in, just push it into the spring barrel.
The replacement springs that I've bought so far don't come with that huge "C"-shaped retainer seen in fig. 5, but are retained with a circle of iron wire. Not only the rivet slot is not exposed, but the whole spring+retainer combo may fit inside the barrel with no possibility of pushing away the retainer as explained. Also, I would always be in doubt that the rivet and the slot have correctly engaged. Personally I wouldn't do it that way in any case.

These instructions seem to me mainly a theoretical essay about how these operations would be performed by immaterial ghosts in an ideal world. Fig. 4 almost makes me laugh and I challenge anyone at taking a picture of barrels A and BC in the same position without barrel BC rocketing out of the window. Fig. 13, where the shaft is re-inserted without even pushing it, but actually gently holding it from above, delivers a similar comic effect.

Thanks a lot in any case for posting these pages, Mark, they're a very interesting period document!