Removing a turntable from a Sonora late Portable.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
larryh
Victor IV

Removing a turntable from a Sonora late Portable.

Post by larryh »

Looking for some thoughts here. I have a neighbor that has a somewhat rough Sonora portable. It has large pot metal reproducer which does still play pretty well. We got some new governor weights for it and he made a crank. It is working. But he break leather is worn badly and wants to slip. He and I have both tried to lift up on the turntable to remove it to access the break, but neither of us has been successful so far. I don't want to damage it. It seems to have a small indentation like you might expect to see a snap ring in, but none is present. I am leary of putting oil or 4 d 40 around the spindle because the felt is in fairly good shape and not darkened at the center. Anyone have one of these and could shed some light on if there is any trick to removing it, or is it just plain stuck in which case whats the best way to unstick it with out damaging the machine?

Covah
Victor II

Re: Removing a turntable from a Sonora late Portable.

Post by Covah »

The way to remove a turntable is to lift it in both hands and have a helper bang the spindle with a hammer, assuming there is no set screw or clip.

Sometimes you really have to beat on them, beat until your fingers are sore.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

If you don't see a locking ring, also check to see if the spindle, itself, is screwed in place. I've seen a few like this. Normally, you'd see a small hole drilled through the spindle. If you do, insert a small nail, hold the rim of the turntable, and try turning the nail counter-clockwise. (If that doesn't work, then try turning is clock-wise.)

It could just be rusted in place, and if so, a quick pull upward should do the trick, as Covah noted.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Larry,

Check with a flashlight that there isn't a set screw underneath if there isn't I'm with Covah-you've probably got swollen potmetal or some rust holding it on. Do not use WD40 if it's pot metal-I've been told it can dissolve potmetal. (I haven't tested that out personally, but I trust the source.)

Reagrds,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

antiquekid3
Victor Jr

Post by antiquekid3 »

Neophone wrote:Larry,

Check with a flashlight that there isn't a set screw underneath if there isn't I'm with Covah-you've probably got swollen potmetal or some rust holding it on. Do not use WD40 if it's pot metal-I've been told it can dissolve potmetal. (I haven't tested that out personally, but I trust the source.)

Reagrds,
John
I'm not convinced that WD-40 (mineral spirits, mineral oil, and inert ingredients) can dissolve pot metal (zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminum, iron, and cadmium). With the little chemistry I know, strong acids dissolve metals because they react with the metal to form ions. However, I would recommend a good penetrate oil for this application.