But what about the early 1926? Help!

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
NeedleSpeak
Victor Jr

Re: But what about the early 1926? Help!

Post by NeedleSpeak »

Some Manuel referencing the machine would ne great, blueprints or patterns for the actual motor would be amazing though when I cleaned it, I used the rule "put it back where you found it". Some parts I could not get off, so I had to work around that restriction.

When I play (and only on certain spins) it seems like the needle is heavy on the record if I lift it the record will spin at speed, when I let go it will slow then stop even after a full to mention crank.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

NeedleSpeak wrote:Some Manuel referencing the machine would ne great, blueprints or patterns for the actual motor would be amazing though when I cleaned it, I used the rule "put it back where you found it". Some parts I could not get off, so I had to work around that restriction.

When I play (and only on certain spins) it seems like the needle is heavy on the record if I lift it the record will spin at speed, when I let go it will slow then stop even after a full to mention crank.
Q. What sort of records are you playing? Some heavily worn discs can bog down a single spring motor, as may later, post-1935 records... Also, is the tone arm moving freely, without resistance?

Bill

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Did you also lubricate the friction pad of the governor, and the disc over which it operates, and the axle over which the governor rotates, as the chart say to do? If you didn't, there is much more friction than needed and the gramophone will never work fine.

If you really disassembled the motor as you write, the above mentioned parts also need to be adjusted or the motor will never operate smoothly. The governor axle has pivots that usually fit inside eccentric bushings, which are adjustable. You have to find the "sweet spot" where the wormgear engage securely over the other gear, but it also has backlash enough to swirl with minimal friction.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

Lucius1958 wrote:Q. What sort of records are you playing? Some heavily worn discs can bog down a single spring motor, as may later, post-1935 records... Also, is the tone arm moving freely, without resistance?

Bill
Dirt on the record can also cause this kind of problem. My H.M.V. 101 portable (also with a single-spring motor) used to suffer in this way, losing speed as soon as a heavily-orchestrated passage came along if not at the very beginning. In every instance, however, I found that after I had worked over the record with a general-purpose spray polish the problem disappeared.

Oliver Mundy.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

... and sometimes you just need a new mainspring. They can fatigue and loose their tension over time. Did you actually open the spring barrel, clean & lubricate the spring?

NeedleSpeak
Victor Jr

Post by NeedleSpeak »

Wow, what an amazing and welcoming community! Everyone has been so friendly and helpful.

I did clean and re oil everything. The Gentlemen who mentioned the weighted record might be on to something because she's playing all my records but I have the problem when I play my Decca black label 78 only, I assume it's a "newer" 78.

I had a few new guy questions that I've seen different answers to.

1. Needles, how many spins? I buy 78s to listen to them, most are in ruff but payable condition.

2.My machine boasted a 2 play per full crank system. When listening to back to back music, is it okay to wind a half wound coil or do I always let it fully unwind between plays?

Thank you guys, I'm beyond excited to make new friends and share this hobby!

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

1 - Each needle is intended to play one record. You can play both sides of the same record with the same needle, but playing two sides of two different records with the same needle is not recommended. Do not rotate the needle when changing side - leave it as it is.

2 - It is OK to leave the spring half wound between records, all of us do the same. I suggest to fully unwind the spring at the end of the listening session, and especially when you plan to store the gramophone for some time.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

2. I only wind when I hear the record begin to slow down, (and I don't wind fully even then), or I might also give the crank 3 or 4 twists between records.

There's no need to wind fully, unless you have to in order to get through a record, but even then, there's no sin in turning the crank a couple times to make it through a side.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

There is only one way to do this job, and that's properly! No good messing about scraping old grease off the top of the coils, that will do no good at all. The spring has to come out of it's drum, be thoroughly cleaned of all traces of the old grease, and replaced in the cleaned drum, together with a few generous dollops of fresh grease.

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

Whenever I work on an unfamiliar motor I write notes and take a lot of photos. This really helps with reassembly especially if something comes up that might keep you away from the project for awhile.