Speed indicator adjustment

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
TonyJ
Victor I

Speed indicator adjustment

Post by TonyJ »

Sorry if this is a silly question - the speed indicator on my VV-XI is off and was playing quite a bit fast when at 78. To adjust the indicator I assume I do it with the platter off of the motorboard and the motor running? Thanks in advance!

Henry
Victor V

Re: Speed indicator adjustment

Post by Henry »

Depends on the style of speed indicator that's on your XI. Mine has the circular dial with the movable pointer; its knob has a screw in the center top, and this screw can be turned so that the rpm of the turntable is exactly as the pointer indicates. Set the pointer to 78, and with strobe disk in place, turn the screw this way or that until the strobe lines appear stationary. Note that when playing a record, the combined weights of the record and the tracking force will cause the platter to slow, so you may need to check again with the strobe disk while the record is actually playing.

TonyJ
Victor I

Post by TonyJ »

Thanks for the feedback. I think I got mine set - the plate that covers the indicator said to put a screwdriver in the slotted shaft and rotate the pointer itself. My main concern was running it without the platter and getting it accurate. Verified it with the strobe and a disc playing and is set correctly now.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

I would adjust it "under load" - while playing a 12" record.

You can get it close with the turntable running, then fine tune wile playing the record...
De Soto Frank

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

I find that it is a lot easier to get the turntable to spin at 78 than it is to get the indicator to point at 78! :lol:
Best regards ... AZ*