Broken Leg & Victrola History?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
John3313
Victor Jr

Broken Leg & Victrola History?

Post by John3313 »

Hi All,

Just picked up a VV-90 that was in the same family since purchased in early 20's. The chrome inside the lid looks pristine. The seller's grandfather had bought it new and was a Marine ... only he was allowed to play it for the family.

I'd like your thoughts on a broken leg repair, some gouges, and a signature ... I will post these on three lines here for simplicity sake.

First the leg. I have a drill press so I was thinking of drilling out the old 'square peg' repair and going about 2" into the Top and Bottom of the break to insert:

Plan A - a 4" hardwood dowel with wood glue.
Plan B - a 4" threaded steel rod with epoxy, where thread OD = hole ID (such that the rod slides in place, no rotation needed to 'screw in')
Plan C - your plan goes here ...
Attachments
Front Leg Cracked Off
Front Leg Cracked Off
Inside Chrome Looks Great
Inside Chrome Looks Great

John3313
Victor Jr

Re: Broken Leg & Victrola History?

Post by John3313 »

Second, the Signature: Looks like factory worker 'Angel Lerner' (perhaps) signed this before the manufacturers label was applied. Has anyone seen this particular signature before?
Attachments
Signature of Factory Worker
Signature of Factory Worker

John3313
Victor Jr

Post by John3313 »

Third, the Gouges: There are a few of these. I don't like the thought of building these gouged edges back up with Plastic Wood or some such filler which won't stain or look proper. Any good ways to do this?
Attachments
Gouged Edge.
Gouged Edge.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

As for the leg: I think that the first option is preferable: you might want to use hide glue for the repair, though, as it can easily be reversed in case it has to be redone.

The signature: with a name like "Lerner", it's more likely to be "August" instead of "Angel"

The gouges: best way to fill those in would be sawdust and hide glue, built up and sanded down: see the "Basket Case Columbia" thread in "Machines".

Hope that helps.

Bill

John3313
Victor Jr

Post by John3313 »

Thanks for the suggestions Bill. Here is a link to the 'Basket Case' thread if anyone wants to see that. The saw dust technique is on pages 11-13. I was amazed to see the little home nickel plating outfit work so well!

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... e+Columbia

John3313
Victor Jr

Post by John3313 »

Here are some pictures reattaching the leg. After carefully removing the square peg it became clear that this was the THIRD time the leg was broken. Evidence of prior break was hiding under the peg.
Attachments
Here's my set up to hold the leg in position while the glues sets up.
Here's my set up to hold the leg in position while the glues sets up.
Earlier break obvious from existing crack.
Earlier break obvious from existing crack.

John3313
Victor Jr

Post by John3313 »

Since the leg had broken before I am now thinking that I should NOT try to hide the break with saw dust-glue filling but should leave it so future owners realize the leg is weak. What do you think?
Attachments
Fixed-1.jpg
Fixed-2.jpg

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Did you use hide glue or an epoxy to glue it.??? If you are going to keep it you would know that it was a little weaker than the others and could compensate. You could also leave a note attached to it for future owners that it had a bum leg. Maybe you should have given it a knee replacement treatment with a titanium replacement rod. If it was strong enough then refinish it or leave it to your preference. As thing age the do get scratches and dings from being moved around Tom