Turntable Felt Restoration

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
martinola
Victor III

Turntable Felt Restoration

Post by martinola »

I don’t like using reproduction stuff if I can use the original. Sometimes I go to greater lengths than I should. I’m not sure that this isn’t one of those cases, but the results looked pretty good to me. My C-19 felt had moth holes and gouges, but I really liked the original color. It took a couple of evenings to accomplish.

Image Image

Here’s what I did:

First, my tool of choice is the single edge razor blade. It’s the best all-purpose tool known to humankind (in my opinion). The C-19 felt was already pretty loose, so it was relatively easy to get the blade under there to take the rest of it off. I just took it slow, and it came off in one piece.

Next, I washed it in Naptha. I did that with lots of ventilation. (Remember Naptha is also used as lighter fluid, so don’t smoke around it - or moth holes will be the least of your problems.) It was a lot cleaner, but the discolorations (where the holes in the turntable were), didn’t go away. I decided I could live with those. I laid the felt out on a flat surface to dry overnight.

After drying, I brought it in and used the blade to take off the excess glue so that it would lay flat on the turntable when re-attached. While I was doing that, I harvested some clean fiber from the backside of the felt. This is the material that I ended up using to patch in the moth holes. I used lots of wax paper as my work surface. (The glue won’t stick to it, well, not much.)

Image Image

I used tacking glue that I got from Jo-Anne Fabrics. I think it was “Unique Stitch” or something like that. Initially, I worked on the back side to fill in the holes. I took a pinch of fiber and mixed it with the tacking glue to make a kind of felt spackle. I used my fingernail to tuck it in and smooth it out. I flipped it over and worked on the top side (the pretty side). I added a little tacking glue on top and pressed more loose fibers on to give a dry top surface of fiber. Once I was done, I let it dry overnight sandwiched in wax paper under a slightly weighted flat board. (I had to find one big enough to cover the complete surface.)

ImageImage

If I recall correctly, one or two of the patches had soaked a bit much glue and became rather hard and darkened after drying. I repeated the trick of lightly gluing the top of those parts with glue and reapplying more fibers.

I re-attached the felt with the tacking glue, rather than shellac. I’ve always had a hard time using shellac for this as it always ends up soaking up too much shellac in some areas and spoiling the felt and not gluing down other areas. Perhaps others have had better luck.

I don't usually look this goofy:

Before and After:

Image Image

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Turntable Felt Restoration

Post by Brad »

Nice job Martinola,

I hadn't thought of using Naptha to clean the felt. I have heard of using woolight, but I have never felt like getting the platter wet. Also, great idea on scavanging fibers from the back side to repair the holes. I am going to try that.

I have used 3M spray on adhesive with good results, though it is mostly permanent.

Finally:
martinola wrote:
I don't usually look this goofy:

You don't look goofy, but you did remind me of Icon from the 60's: :D :D :lol: :lol: :D :D
Attachments
SimonBarSinister.jpg
SimonBarSinister.jpg (40.06 KiB) Viewed 4678 times
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Oh my! One can only aspire to greatness! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thanks for you nice comments!

-Martin

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Martin,

Your after picture (and the photos of your process) were quite impressive—thanks for sharing them. I can’t say I’ve seen anyone else go to this kind of trouble to restore the original felt on a machine, and it’s impressive how successful you were. I’m not sure I want to know how long that took you, though. :D

Great job!

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Thanks for the kind words David! I don't think it really took that long to do this, but I do admit that I don't mind a project taking a while. ;) Anyway, I've used this technique on three felts, so far. I came up with it because the replacement felt for my Credenza just wasn't the same warm color that I originally had.

Martin

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Now if only someone could tell me how to restore the original felt where the needles slid off the record and gouged the felt.

Any brilliant minds out there?

;)

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

After a couple experiences of my own I think that some of those tracks at the 10 inch limit are due to moths and not needles. I left a disc on a turntable one day and didn't use the machine for about a year. Later I found that moths had laid eggs there (they like crevices) and the worms had eaten around the edge of the disc and slightly under it.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Sadly, I can't blame the moths too much. Happened to me recently. Playing a record, and the reproducer skipped off the record onto the felt....original felt, I might add. I shed a few tears over that one.