Adjusting Victrola Speed Control

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Adjusting Victrola Speed Control

Post by Jerry B. »

Adjusting any Victrola to the proper speed can sometimes be difficult. In my opinion many collectors are too quick to move the governor on it's shaft. If the above deck adjustment does not accomplish the desired results remove the motor board with motor and follow the speed control from the underside of the speed control to the brass governor wheel. The example in my photos come from a Victrola XII.

Photo #1 points to the underside of the speed control. The round piece can be moved up or down on its shaft by loosening the knurled knob and moving the round piece. I look for a final position that allows for fine adjustment above deck. Hopefully this will correct any speed control problem.

If you don't get the desired results leave the round unit in the middle of the shaft and tighten the knurled screw and check out photo #2. A gross adjustment can be made by loosening the set screw and moving the governor pads closer to or away from the brass governor wheel. Before testing tighten the set screw.

Most Victrolas have points of governor adjustment before actually moving the governor on its shaft. Other models may be different but always follow the route from the above speed adjustment to the pads that contact the brass governor wheel. I hope this helps.

Jerry Blais
Attachments
Photo #1
Photo #1
Photo #2
Photo #2