Victor VI stripping and refinishing project

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Victor VI stripping and refinishing project

Post by Roaring20s »

Gary, it's more than a month later and I got around to filling the gap in the corner of the lid.
Lid Corner.1.png
Lid Corner.2.png
This is the back left corner of the lid.

Looks better with some stain. :D
Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 8.43.59 PM.png
James.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

Wow, looks great James. I haven't had much time lately to look at mine. it's been a busy summer and just got back from vacation. Thanks for the update
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

Well I didn't get to do a blow by blow of each step I took, but I do have some pictures of the nearly finished machine finally. I was lucky that the wood and stain underneath the poly was in excellent condition. There was no need, in my opinion, to do a grain fill. I tried a light coat of shellac and was happy with the results, so proceeded with adding a few more coats. There were a few worn spots of gold on the bottom pieces (the top looked great already) so I used some rub and buff with some nice results there. I am missing the front escutcheon,leather brake and the arrow is broken off the speed dial, but otherwise all there I believe. For now it will sit quietly as I ponder my next move. The motor runs, but will need to be cleaned at a future date as it does play slow and a bit noisy.

What I did
1) cleaned all gold parts in an ammonia bath. i don't let them stay long.(10 minutes) Toothbrush to get off grime.Dry with clean cotton towel
2) Rub and buff a few minor spots to even out gold appearance. A very inexpensive cheat but it works great.
3) added shellac and alcohol mix(about 50/50 and gradually added more shellac each time, I think I did 6 times or so)
4) Light sanding in between. (a clean rag wrapped in cheesecloth,alcohol in a glass bottle and wiped on with the grain.

ps(girlfriend likes it, said i can keep her :lol: )
Attachments
2019-04-02 19.38.58.jpg
2019-04-02 19.39.06.jpg
2019-04-02 19.39.10.jpg
2019-04-02 11.52.39.jpg
2019-04-02 11.46.39.jpg
2019-04-02 11.28.08.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

That's beautiful, Gary!

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Yes, very nice. Jerry B.

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

Thanks guys. Hear she is all put together. If anyone has the front escutcheon please let me know. I think that's the only missing piece, that plus a motor cleaning.
Attachments
20190416_172412.jpg
20190416_172344.jpg
20190416_172218.jpg
Frederic Bastiat

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

You saved a classic phonograph and you should be proud!
Mine is still on the back burner. Practice home improvements need to come first! :roll:

James.