How to remove decals from wood

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
apruizii
Victor II

How to remove decals from wood

Post by apruizii »

What is the best way to remove decals from wood?

I just picked up a VV-90 Victrola needing some TLC and it has a Mexican motif decal on the face of each volume door. I guess the decals were put on to complement a kids room. I tried to remove the decals with Gojo and 0000 steel wool with no luck...it just cleaned the dirt off the decals. I would appreciate any tips/suggestions.

Thanks!

AR

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: How to remove decals from wood

Post by alang »

I think the VV-90 finish is still shellac, so you can't use alcohol, but mineral spirits should be no issue. I would try somewhere on the back of the machine first.

Good luck
Andreas

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Try GooGone or GoofOff. They use citrus oils to dissolve sticker residue. Might not work on decals but worth a try.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

52089 wrote:Try GooGone or GoofOff. They use citrus oils to dissolve sticker residue. Might not work on decals but worth a try.
I would be careful with regular GoofOff, that's like paint thinner. GooGone should be OK.

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Everyone,

Thanks for the tips on removing the stickers. I ended up leaving the Gojo on top of the decals longer (10 minutes), 0000 steel wool and elbow grease, and the decals finally started to come off little by little.

AR