Anyone tried this EDISON Diaphragm ??

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
wheelgun357
Victor O

Anyone tried this EDISON Diaphragm ??

Post by wheelgun357 »

anyone tried it at all.. i just got a reproducer that is shot to hell and i have to rebuild it.. anyone know about this how's it sound etc??
http://cgi.ebay.com/Edison-Diamond-Disc ... 5ad725004e

gregbogantz
Victor II

Re: Anyone tried this EDISON Diaphragm ??

Post by gregbogantz »

This is a copy of my design that I've been making for several years and have sold to a number of satisfied customers. I've seen others copy my design with poor results because they haven't taken the time to properly select the correct materials. If you want the original and best, you can PM me for the details. I have models for the Edison DD, diamond amberola, and M and O reproducers, all of which models require different materials for optimum performance. Mine are cheaper than this one, too. I don't sell mine on eBay, only by direct mail order. Also, when you purchase one of my diaphragms you will also get a copy of my detailed reproducer rebuilding instructions which explain a number of important details in rebuilding and adjusting the reproducer.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

I haven't tried the one on e-bay (would like to) but I can vouch for Greg Bogantz'. It has all the bass with clearer highs than the original (in my experience) especially when those humid days come creeping in.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

I have used the diaphragm and gaskets pictured. I haven't used Greg's yet but after reading this thread will be contacting him soon for some other projects I need parts for.

I am not sure if it was something I did wrong, but when I used these parts my phonograph doesn't play very loud. The clarity and range sound OK, but there isn't much volume. The diaphragm isn't very high quality. It appears to be made from the same cardboard that is used by clothing stores for gift boxes. It is laminated but is really pretty cheap material. So all in all, I would go with the advice to use Greg's. I know I will be contacting him soon. :)

Hope this helped!

scooter
Victor O

Post by scooter »

Hi,
I've tried this diaphragm and it works pretty well until you can locate an original.

Construction is good. Sound reproduction is shifted a little to the higher frequencies. Less base than an original, louder highs and I've noticed more surface noise coming through too. Overall, a little louder than the original but shifted to the higher frequencies. 12 bucks and got my spare reproducer working.

Scott

wheelgun357
Victor O

Post by wheelgun357 »

I tried it and i think its a waste of time, the cord is wayyyyy toooo long.... and it sounds cardboardy.... ill be getting one of Greg's, im dissapointed with the one from ebay bigtime...

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

wjw wrote:I haven't tried the one on e-bay (would like to) but I can vouch for Greg Bogantz'. It has all the bass with clearer highs than the original (in my experience) especially when those humid days come creeping in.
I agree. I've got Greg's in Diamond Disc, Diamond A, Diamond B, O and M reproducers and am very pleased with them!