Spring Lubrication

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Phono-Phan
Victor V

Spring Lubrication

Post by Phono-Phan »

I have heard that a mixture of Vaseline and powdered graphite is a good mainspring lubricant. Is there a ratio of graphite to Vaseline that is recommended?
Ken

Victor VI

Re: Spring Lubrication

Post by 52089 »

I'd suggest you search the board as there have been many discussions about the pros and cons of the vaseline/graphite mixture versus modern lubricants like lithium or moly grease.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Thanks!!! Here is the post that had the ratio. I need to re-read Reiss's book.
GrafonolaG50 wrote:I use gun oil and haven't had any problems. For the one spring I have re greased, I used Vaseline and graphite, which is what Edison originally used. The Edison recipe is 10 parts Vaseline to 1 part flake graphite. As for the gears, use light oil such as sewing machine or gun oil. If the gears are worn, feel free to use Vaseline. This information can be found in the book "The Compleat Talking Machine" be Eric Reiss. It is a book that will be very helpful in this hobby. The others should chime in soon with more information. Also, welcome to the hobby and to the forum.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

You better not re-read it as it suggest not to lubricate gears. Nice book with a lot of tips but to be taken with a grain of salt.

I personally would also avoid using vaseline as there are today many more stable and lasting compounds. I second the suggestion of searching the forum about molybdenum grease and graphite mixtures.