APS website searchable documents -- 1200+!

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

APS website searchable documents -- 1200+!

Post by fran604g »

Hiya folks,

I noticed Rod Pickett's post earlier today on the "Violinola" thread (here: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 28#p219528), showing results from his "Ola" search request at the APS website, and I was curious to see of any new website developments -- as I frequently do when something captivates my curiosity.

I saw a new image on the "scrolling" APS homepage that included a clickable link, which took me to a listing of the large number of searchable documents contained in the online archive available to us, and thought I should share my discovery with you all -- in case you haven't seen what's available for members to view. :) http://www.antiquephono.org/wp-content/ ... isting.pdf

The catalog section alone is amazing!

I tend to take the Society for granted, but the availability of this search capability (and of course the fabulous quarterly Journal), reminds me that the incredible amount of information more than justifies the cost of a Society membership. I just wanted to take the time to thank them, and I hope others appreciate the immense amount of volunteer work the folks at the APS are doing for us all -- on a daily basis. If you aren't currently a member, join. If you haven't renewed your membership this year, I urge you to do that right now.

Best regards, my phonophriends!

-Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: APS website searchable documents -- 1200+!

Post by phonogfp »

There are a number of people who have been working hard on expanding/improving the APS web site. I'm in awe of this work because I'm barely able to function on a computer outside my limited sphere. Like Fran, my thanks go out to them.

My only complaint about the web site has been that we can't simply BROWSE through the wonderful documents posted there. I like to just thumb through documents and learn something surprising. Well...here's a neat little trick:

Go to the APS web site and click the "Shop" tab, then on the drop-down menu, hit "Magazine Back Issues." (It's here:)

https://www.antiquephono.org/back-issue ... honograph/

Scroll to the bottom of that page and you'll find a hidden jewel: a button you can click to see a "Subject Index to Past Issues." (The March and June 2018 issues will be added within a few weeks.)

Click that button.

NOW, you can browse the topics that have been covered over the past 14 years of the APS Journal. When you find something you'd like to read about, just see when it appeared (month + year). THEN, go to the search function:

https://www.antiquephono.org/category/advanced/

and enter that month & year. The entire issue will come up, and you can read all about your topic of interest (if you're an APS member, of course).

Sure, this procedure is a bit round-about. However, rest assured that Rod & the Gang are working on a BROWSEABLE index/table of contents that will accomplish this with a click or two of the mouse.

George P.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Re: APS website searchable documents -- 1200+!

Post by NEFaurora »

"Sure, this procedure is a bit round-about. However, rest assured that Rod & the Gang are working on a BROWSEABLE index/table of contents that will accomplish this with a click or two of the mouse."

Hallelujah!!! This has been my ONLY APS complaint since day 1.

Thanks for the Update George P. !!!!!

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer