Edison Fireside B: Speed Control

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Edison Fireside B: Speed Control

Post by RolandVV-360 »

When I release the brake on my Fireside, I find that the mandrel spins faster than the proper speed for a BA. Below are some pictures of the governor and speed control assembly. If anyone could show me to whatever is wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.
Attachments
20180929_215619.jpg
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

Victor VI

Re: Edison Fireside B: Speed Control

Post by 52089 »

I don't see anything out of the ordinary offhand. If the speed control doesn't adjust the speed enough, you will probably need to adjust the position of the governor.

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

52089 wrote:I don't see anything out of the ordinary offhand. If the speed control doesn't adjust the speed enough, you will probably need to adjust the position of the governor.
Is that true to all Fireside machines? It seems like a a nuisance to have to adjust the brake to perfection every time I want to play a cylinder...
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Is the yoke with the felt pads there? I don't see it in the picture. Without that, you won't be able to control the speed.
Dave D

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

RolandVV-360 wrote:
52089 wrote:I don't see anything out of the ordinary offhand. If the speed control doesn't adjust the speed enough, you will probably need to adjust the position of the governor.
Is that true to all Fireside machines? It seems like a a nuisance to have to adjust the brake to perfection every time I want to play a cylinder...
Gosh no - - nobody said anything about adjusting the brake! Dave meant adjusting the governor laterally in its bearings. However, in your picture, the governor looks to be positioned correctly. Here are two possible fixes:

1) Loosen the set screw that holds the governor collar in place. Move the collar/weights/limit disc laterally on the governor shaft toward the right - - just a fraction of an inch so it's a bit closer to the pads on the yoke.

2) Here's the simplest. The yoke is indeed in place, but it may have been slightly bent if the governor shaft was ever removed by an inexperienced person. The yoke is made of brass and easily bent, which means it can be carefully returned to its original position with the pads a bit closer to the limit disc. Easy does it!

Good luck - -

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Roland,

I'm sure you, as an experienced collector/repairman, will run the spring before adjusting the governor but to all newer collectors... Before working on the governor or any spring motor in general always run the motor down as far as possible. With a cylinder machine slipping off the belt from the upper pulley will help it run down more completely. Good luck with your project. Jerry Blais