Wood Graining

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
victorthesixth
Victor I

Wood Graining

Post by victorthesixth »

I recently bought a mahogany opera horn from Don Gfell. I tried to wood grain it myself but I fear I am not an artist. Does anyone have some recommendations on who provides this service?

Thanks

V/6

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Wood Graining

Post by Phonofreak »

First, If you bought a Mahogany horn, why would you want to grain it? Genuine Mahogany would have it's natural grain. Are you trying to grain the elbow? If so, there is an excellent article in Eric Reiss's book, The Complete Talking Machine.
Harvey Kravitz

victorthesixth
Victor I

Post by victorthesixth »

I am trying for the elbow and let's just say I have no artistic talent

Thanks

V/6

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

I could do this for you-but to have a good match you would really have to have the horn as well. Where are you located?

Another option is to attend some vintage car shows, I do art restoration and learned this process 40 years ago as many antique frames have this process and to restore tham I had to learn that art. I was involved in the vintage car hobby for a number of years and began to do dashes and window pillars in the cars when the weather permitted. Go to a couple of shows, you might find someone who can do the work locally.

Abe

cleveland1996
Victor III

Post by cleveland1996 »

You might talk to Gregg Cline. I believe that he can wood grain horns...

Joe

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

cleveland1996 wrote:You might talk to Gregg Cline. I believe that he can wood grain horns...

Joe

Yup, Gregg Cline is the best that I know of. He did my Opera elbow. Very happy with the result!