Sourcing an appropriate stylus for a Diamond Disc on a Pathé

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Governor Bearing
Victor Jr
Personal Text: In the groove

Sourcing an appropriate stylus for a Diamond Disc on a Pathé

Post by Governor Bearing »

Dear all,
In a recent saleroom acquisition of Pathé discs, I also received a bonus few Edison Diamond Discs. I'm tantalized by the opportunity to play both sorts of vertical cut discs, but would need to source an appropriate diamond-tipped stylus instead of the Pathé sapphire ball.
I'm wondering if such a thing might exist already, or perhaps some micro-butchering of a more modern stylus with a larger shank? Or am I simply barking up the wrong dog here and it's just not possible?
Perhaps there's a previous thread on the same subject which I simply haven't managed to search for properly? Many thanks in advance!

Victor VI

Re: Sourcing an appropriate stylus for a Diamond Disc on a P

Post by 52089 »

You can indeed find diamond points designed to allow you to play Diamond Discs on a Pathé machine. However, my experience with this has never been good. I've had 2 or 3 of these styli and every one of them has caused damage in the form of visible groove wear.

Governor Bearing
Victor Jr
Personal Text: In the groove

Re: Sourcing an appropriate stylus for a Diamond Disc on a P

Post by Governor Bearing »

Thanks. And I'm guessing that a fibre cactus needle or similar, although wouldn't damage the surface, simply wouldn't be small, sharp nor durable enough to see through a single side...?