Cleaning your gramophone tone arm etc

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
poodling around
Victor V

Cleaning your gramophone tone arm etc

Post by poodling around »

Do you use Silvo, Brasso or something else to clean the tone arm etc or don't you clean at all to retain the patina ?

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Cleaning your gramophone tone arm etc

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I use Blue Magic metal polish to clean. There is a strong difference in my valueless opinion between "patina" and "corrosion."

For example, not with gramophones but with phonographs, I have two early cylinder machines sitting on a bookshelf. There is a 1904 Edison Standard A and a 1906 Columbia "Jewel" BK. The Columbia is restored...because the "patina" was light. I was able to buff it up with some cleaners and it looks fine and dandy--if you squint it looks brand new.

On the other hand, the Edison looks fine at a distance, but compared to the Columbia it's a sad specimen. The nickel is fading on the mandrel and there is a good deal of rust and wear. Most of the bedplate shine is leaked motor oil. Can it polish up? No. It's like the old '96 Corolla in the yard--I could polish that if the paint were there to polish.

So if you have a nice gramophone go ahead and get a gentle polisher and clean it up. They really do look wonderful.

poodling around
Victor V

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:I use Blue Magic metal polish to clean. There is a strong difference in my valueless opinion between "patina" and "corrosion."

For example, not with gramophones but with phonographs, I have two early cylinder machines sitting on a bookshelf. There is a 1904 Edison Standard A and a 1906 Columbia "Jewel" BK. The Columbia is restored...because the "patina" was light. I was able to buff it up with some cleaners and it looks fine and dandy--if you squint it looks brand new.

On the other hand, the Edison looks fine at a distance, but compared to the Columbia it's a sad specimen. The nickel is fading on the mandrel and there is a good deal of rust and wear. Most of the bedplate shine is leaked motor oil. Can it polish up? No. It's like the old '96 Corolla in the yard--I could polish that if the paint were there to polish.

So if you have a nice gramophone go ahead and get a gentle polisher and clean it up. They really do look wonderful.
Thank you. A most enjoyable and informative read.

I see what you mean when you mention corrosion - there is some 'pitting' forming on the tone arm etc which would improve with cleaning.

So, cleaning it is. I see that you use a cleaner which I think is equivalent to 'Silvo' over here. So I will use that.

Thanks again.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I use Solvol Autosol on my classic cars and my gramophones. It comes in a tube, just like toothpaste, and is easy to apply. Your local Halfords should stock it.
Most tarnish and light corrosion can be removed using a cloth, but for stubborn areas I use very fine steel wool.
Never use Brasso. It is too abrasive.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:I use Solvol Autosol on my classic cars and my gramophones. It comes in a tube, just like toothpaste, and is easy to apply. Your local Halfords should stock it.
Most tarnish and light corrosion can be removed using a cloth, but for stubborn areas I use very fine steel wool.
Never use Brasso. It is too abrasive.

Thank you very much epigramophone for the advice and I will buy some Solvol on Monday :D

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Methods for cleaning bright parts are completely different between nickel and gold plated parts. You can't be nearly as aggressive with gold plated parts. Jerry Blais

poodling around
Victor V

Jerry B. wrote:Methods for cleaning bright parts are completely different between nickel and gold plated parts. You can't be nearly as aggressive with gold plated parts. Jerry Blais
Thank you Jerry.