phonograph springs and reproducer thumb screws

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
davesdatahut

phonograph springs and reproducer thumb screws

Post by davesdatahut »

Hi Folks,
I do a good bit of motor repair and some reproducer restoration and I was wondering if there was a place I can go to buy, say, 25 springs of various sizes and a few dozen thumb screws. Does any machine shop or metal shop make them? I'm hoping to get a somewhat better price than I would buying them one by one from parts suppliers. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
dave in New York

JohnM
Victor V

Re: phonograph springs and reproducer thumb screws

Post by JohnM »

Dave,
Phonograph parts suppliers have gone through a great deal of trouble and expense in tooling and production to make available highly specialized parts that were within recent memory difficult or sometimes nearly impossible to find, and certainly they've earned the small profit that they make on such a large investment. I don't think any of the reproduction parts -- unless they are completely unique -- are prohibitively expensive. I can't send you anywhere but back to the phonograph parts suppliers -- perhaps you can cut a deal by buying in quantity?
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

davesdatahut

Re: phonograph springs and reproducer thumb screws

Post by davesdatahut »

Hello Richard,
Oh well...I thought maybe there was a place I could go to put in a large order and get a price break, especially on springs and thumb screws. I gotta figure the major suppliers aren't making these themselves, so there must be some companies out that are actually doing this? Wouldn't you think?
dave