Model H stylus bar question

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Model H stylus bar question

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

I have a model H reproducer that has a new stylus and bar in it. The only issue is the stylus wiggles around in the bar and the sound is very muffled and raspy because of it. How would you suggest I fix this issue? I thought of putting a tiny drop of shellac on the bar where the stylus goes in, but don't want to get any on the stylus where it touches the record. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Stephen

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Model H stylus bar question

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Drip some thinned shellac on it, drip again, then dip a toothpick point in denatured alcohol and swab the playing surface of the stylus.

Maybe that works?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Or, apply shellac to the end opposite the playing end of the stylus, since I believe the hole goes all the way through. Thinned shellac, as suggested above, should capillary up into the needle bar.

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

Thank you Jerry and Charles. I'll try your suggestions out and report back with the results.

Stephen

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

Triple distilled cyanoacrylate. Put some on the tip of a pin, then touch it to the FLAT END of the sapphire, and the glue will travel around the sapphire and secure it in 10 seconds. It won’t creep to the tip of the sapphire, and if it does, a little acetone will wipe it off easily.
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!