Temporary bushings for Victrola 2 and 4 reproducers

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Dr_Buzzsaw
Victor Jr

Temporary bushings for Victrola 2 and 4 reproducers

Post by Dr_Buzzsaw »

I doubt I'm the first person to think of this, but didn't see any threads about it and figure someone might find it useful.

I was rebuilding a couple Victor reproducers this past weekend, and like to use MicaMonster's method of making bushings/isolators from silicone. I'm also sometimes a perfectionist and am trying to figure out what kind of silicone I like best for this application (a subject for a future thread, maybe). So while the reproducers are ready to go and I want to test them, I don't have the bushings made for them yet. However, I had some 1" OD, ¾" ID surgical tubing on hand. Since that's close to the annular dimensions of a No.2 or No.4 bushing, I grabbed the tubing, a brass mounting collar, and tried it out. I've attached pictures below but it's all pretty straightforward:

Cut a ~¼" long section off some 1" OD, ¾" ID surgical tubing
Stretch the cut-off section of tubing over a brass mounting collar
Stuff it into the throat of the reproducer, align the bayonet pin, and crank down the set screws

It's not a perfect solution - it's ugly and slightly loose - but worked well enough to test and adjust the reproducers to my satisfaction. Wrapping a little electrical tape around the outside might help give a properly snug, airtight fit, but it's still just a stop-gap fix. The useful lives of surgical tubing and electrical tape are pretty short, compared to silicone and synthetic rubbers. This would probably work for Orthophonics too, with some tape and/or slightly larger tubing.
Attachments
20181202_0.jpg
20181202_01.jpg
20181202_02.jpg
20181202_03.jpg

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Temporary bushings for Victrola 2 and 4 reproducers

Post by Phonofreak »

Why bother doing that? Ron Sitko sells these already made. last time I bought one it was $4.00 or $5.00.
Harvey Kravitz
Last edited by Phonofreak on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr_Buzzsaw
Victor Jr

Post by Dr_Buzzsaw »

Phonofreak wrote:Why bother doing that? Ron Sitko sells these already made. last time I bought one it was $.0 or $5.00.
Harvey Kravitz
I know, but it was Sunday evening and I had the stuff on hand already. Thought it'd be a fun experiment while waiting on getting some proper bushings ordered or made.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Plus Ron is closed up until January. I think that's a cool idea, even if it's just for experimenting. I completely forgot Ron is unavailable and naturally I'm out of Exhibition micas and flanges. Oh well.

I've been wanting to try doing silicone on a #2, I've got plenty on hand, I just need to rip apart a couple of #2s and chip the old rubber away from the brass fitting.

Sean

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

One problem I see with the shown solution is that the brass collar is not insulated from the reproducer body at the bottom, which means that metal to metal vibrations will be transferred between tonearm and reproducer. Another narrow piece of tubing should be added at the bottom to avoid that. Also, the protrusions on the outside of the collar are usually embedded in the rubber in order to prevent the collar from rotating inside the insulator. Therefore I could only see this tubing as a temporary stopgap solution.

Andreas

Dr_Buzzsaw
Victor Jr

Post by Dr_Buzzsaw »

alang wrote:One problem I see with the shown solution is that the brass collar is not insulated from the reproducer body at the bottom, which means that metal to metal vibrations will be transferred between tonearm and reproducer. Another narrow piece of tubing should be added at the bottom to avoid that. Also, the protrusions on the outside of the collar are usually embedded in the rubber in order to prevent the collar from rotating inside the insulator. Therefore I could only see this tubing as a temporary stopgap solution.

Andreas
Neither occurred to me at the time, but you're right on both observations. It's -very- much just a stop-gap fix.

pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Post by pellicano1 »

I have a 2 step casting method using silicon rubber. Softer, more flexible, and a tighter seal. The ones sold online are too stiff in my opinion.
Attachments
IMG_20180925_220543133.jpg
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Hey Steve,

How about sharing your method with the rest of the class?

Sean

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

ERG. I consider my method very proprietary. Who knows. Maybe it can be my gift to the world?
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

Dr_Buzzsaw
Victor Jr

Post by Dr_Buzzsaw »

MicaMonster wrote:ERG. I consider my method very proprietary. Who knows. Maybe it can be my gift to the world?
I could've worded that statement better, as I meant it only very generally. I first learned about using silicone for bushings/isolators from your posts on the subject some time ago, and wanted to credit you for that. Never intended to actually try to reverse-engineer or copy your work.

I don't post all that much here, and am sorry if I inadvertently stirred up some trouble.