Value of VICTROLA Radio Phonograph Cabinet Only

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
alyceskis
Victor Jr

Value of VICTROLA Radio Phonograph Cabinet Only

Post by alyceskis »

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and I am on the learning curve of posting, so this may be a duplicate post. Does anyone know the resale value of an empty Tabletop Victrola Radio Phonograph combo cabinet? Also, is there a market for just the cabinet. The cabinet is really nice. Please see the attached photo and thank you for assistance.
Attachments
s-l1600.9jpg.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Value of VICTROLA Radio Phonograph Cabinet Only

Post by JerryVan »

The value of the empty cabinet would be minimal.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

That looks to be a model 55U case, as illustrated in this ad:
Capture.JPG
SEE: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Table- ... 3256300502

In addition to being stripped of its components, it looks like the one you posted about has also been refinished. There's probably not much value in it, if any, unless the components from a junker cabinet could be installed in it, and then you'd have to tackle the issue of restoring the electronics. It could probably be repurposed to house a modern turntable, or something....

OrthoFan

alyceskis
Victor Jr

Post by alyceskis »

Thank you OrthoFan for responding to my question. I know nothing about antique phonographs. May I ask what is the minimum to high price range for the cabinet? I viewed the one you posted and the seller is asking $145 plus shipping and the ad doesn't state if it works. Would half of this price plus shipping be considered too high for an empty cabinet? Thank you again.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

alyceskis wrote:Thank you OrthoFan for responding to my question. I know nothing about antique phonographs. May I ask what is the minimum to high price range for the cabinet? I viewed the one you posted and the seller is asking $145 plus shipping and the ad doesn't state if it works. Would half of this price plus shipping be considered too high for an empty cabinet? Thank you again.
If you're selling on eBay, you could post that as your asking price, but in all honesty, even that seems a little steep. (Perhaps a third?) The 55U seems to have been a very popular model, and I've seen many examples, over the years, turn up on eBay, craigslist, etc. If only the cabinet had a good, original finish, that would make it more desirable. (My mother, by the way, had the Arvin knock-off version, the 151-TC, which was produced at the same time during the late 1940s -- https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/arvin_151 ... c_chr.html)

OrthoFan

alyceskis
Victor Jr

Post by alyceskis »

Thank you so very much OrthoFan for your recommendation. Have a great weekend.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I saw on Denver, Colorado craigslist similar and complete non-working radio/phonograph outfit for $85. Jerry Blais

alyceskis
Victor Jr

Post by alyceskis »

Thank you Jerry.... I listed the empty cabinet on eBay for $45 plus shipping. The cabinet has been refinished so, hopefully, someone will want the look of antique with modern inside parts. Thanks again...