Turntable/platter removal VV-XIV

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
ReverendC
Victor Jr

Turntable/platter removal VV-XIV

Post by ReverendC »

I just acquired a VV-XIV. I'm trying to remove the platter, but it may be stuck. I've read it's supposed to just lifts off. I've also seen that some rust remover/solvent may be necessary. Is it just a matter of it being stuck? Is there a clip? If solvent is required, how do I apply it without ruining the felt?

Any help is appreciated.

Victor VI

Re: Turntable/platter removal VV-XIV

Post by 52089 »

Many threads on this topic. Here's one, and it has links to others.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... +turntable

ReverendC
Victor Jr

Post by ReverendC »

Thanks for the link. I did a search, but only in this sub forum. Pretty much the same info I found, but better described. I've tried pulling the the spindle out with it, but have been unsuccessful. Just wanted to see if I was missing anything before whacking it with a hammer.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hello,

You might want to ensure you use a big mallet instead of a hammer--a rawhide, wood, or rubber head will be much easier on the turntable spindle than a carpenter's hammer!

Best of luck with your repair. A Victrola XIV is an amazing machine if you get the motor right and rebuild the reproducer--a guest yesterday was wondering why bother with the old horn-type machines when the Victrola XIV was sounding so good! (He's not a collector. Yet.)

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

If you decide to use a mallet, (not hammer, as mentioned above), be sure to also pull up on the turntable as the spindle is being struck. Otherwise, you're just hammering, (malleting?), against the motor frame, which may break as it supports the blows of the mallet. (An extra set of hands may help here.)

It's really easy to pull out the whole shaft from the motor. Did you remove the set screws in the governor gear and the brass collar just above it first? Notice, I wrote "remove", if you just loosen them they will still engage with a small "divet" in the spindle shaft. Sometimes the gears don't want to slide off the shaft due to old dried up oil on the shaft. Clean it first with some solvent.

ReverendC
Victor Jr

Post by ReverendC »

JerryVan wrote:
It's really easy to pull out the whole shaft from the motor. Did you remove the set screws in the governor gear and the brass collar just above it first? Notice, I wrote "remove", if you just loosen them they will still engage with a small "divet" in the spindle shaft. Sometimes the gears don't want to slide off the shaft due to old dried up oil on the shaft. Clean it first with some solvent.

I removed a set screw. Is there more that one? I'll check when I get home. It didn't seem to want to slide off.

Edit. I removed the governor entirely and remove the screw in the brass collar. The shaft doesn't seem to want to slide through the collar.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

ReverendC wrote:
JerryVan wrote:

I removed a set screw. Is there more that one? I'll check when I get home. It didn't seem to want to slide off.

Edit. I removed the governor entirely and remove the screw in the brass collar. The shaft doesn't seem to want to slide through the collar.

Most likely gummed up with old oil. Heat the shaft gently with a propane torch. You just need to get it fairly warm to melt the oil, so don't get carried away :O)

ReverendC
Victor Jr

Post by ReverendC »

I just posted pics here
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=38386

Also, here's a closeup of the spindle and gear.
spindle.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

O.K., your style of motor does not use an extra collar, so the one set screw is all you need to remove. Did you try heating up the shaft & brass gear to melt the old oil? You could also try slipping a long punch or brass, or wooden, rod through the motor frame opening, as it's shown in your photo, and tapping the backside of the turn table hub. That should get things moving.

ReverendC
Victor Jr

Post by ReverendC »

Haven't tried heating it up. I guess taking a blowtorch to a 100 year old antique spooks me a bit.