Open Spring Barrel

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
ReverendC
Victor Jr

Open Spring Barrel

Post by ReverendC »

I've search the forums and found ways to open the spring barrel, but I can seem to figure out mine. I don't see a retaining clip.
Attachments
SpringBarrels.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Open Spring Barrel

Post by phonogfp »

You fail to mention what brand you're dealing with. It looks like Victor to me, and I've wrestled with a couple of these myself. Ultimately, I cleaned the circular plate that sits within the barrel, attached a strong magnet to it, and lightly tapped around the perimeter of the barrel, which gradually worked it away from the circular plate.

There may be a better way to do this, but this method works.

Good luck - -

George P.

ReverendC
Victor Jr

Post by ReverendC »

Yes. It's a VV-XIV Victrola

I just posted this:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=38386

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Yes , I've worked on several of this type of spring barrel over the years -- usually on HMV motors . As George P mentioned , if you tap lightly around the barrel where the plate fits , at same time holding the barrel in a position with the plate facing downwards , it should fall out -- that is the correct method for removal of the plate. I would just add that I always use a small wooden headed mallet for this -- equally a rubber or rawhide head should work fine -- avoid using a metal hammer head as it may leave marks on the barrel or even distend the shape of the barrel slightly which would then make for problems upon re-assembly. Good luck !

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Dulcetto wrote: if you tap lightly around the barrel where the plate fits , at same time holding the barrel in a position with the plate facing downwards , it should fall out -- that is the correct method for removal of the plate.
Interesting - - I have resorted to using a strong magnet to hold the plate facing upwards, while tapping off the edge of the spring barrel downwards... It shows there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Excellent advice on choice of hammer. I use a hard resin mallet for this kind of thing. or wrapping a metal hammer's head in a single layer of old sock will work in a pinch.

George P.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

phonogfp wrote:
Dulcetto wrote: if you tap lightly around the barrel where the plate fits , at same time holding the barrel in a position with the plate facing downwards , it should fall out -- that is the correct method for removal of the plate.
Interesting - - I have resorted to using a strong magnet to hold the plate facing upwards, while tapping off the edge of the spring barrel downwards... It shows there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Excellent advice on choice of hammer. I use a hard resin mallet for this kind of thing. or wrapping a metal hammer's head in a single layer of old sock will work in a pinch.

George P.
Dulcetto's method, (same as mine), relies on the inner coils of the spring to "bump" the cover plate each time you whack the barrel with the mallet. Works great!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

JerryVan wrote:
Dulcetto's method, (same as mine), relies on the inner coils of the spring to "bump" the cover plate each time you whack the barrel with the mallet. Works great!
Makes sense - and it probably works better than my method. Thanks!

George P.

ReverendC
Victor Jr

Post by ReverendC »

Thanks for all the tips. Do I have to worry about the spring falling out if I hold it upside down?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

It's doubtful. The mainsprings are reasonably wide and long, so they don't uncoil unless there's lots of clearance. The original grease is also very likely pretty gummy, so as not to let the coils lower very much. Your hands are right there to push it back into the barrel if necessary. Once you do a couple of these you'll see that they don't exactly explode when you take them apart.

George P.

ReverendC
Victor Jr

Post by ReverendC »

Well, a few taps and it popped right off. Good news is the spring isn't broken, but the nubbin that is supposed to catch in the hole doesn't seem to want to grab. I'm thinking the end of the spring has flattened out? Is it a just a matter of bending the end so it grabs easier? Also, think I need to regrease? There is definately some harding of the old grease.
Attachments
Spring.jpg