Does anybody have a Knabe-Crystola? Need Crank Info

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Does anybody have a Knabe-Crystola? Need Crank Info

Post by cjstoessner »

Greetings, I have a Knabe-Crystola and am seeking a crank. I assumed that a typical off brand female phonograph crank would work but not so much....

So, my request is this: is anybody on this forum in possession of one of these machines and could you snap a photo of your crank (or motor) or tell me a little about it?

Important Note: As a side endeavor to my other historical work, I have been researching the Crystola and the Knabe-Crystola is slightly different that the Crystola put out by the Crystola Co. Ltd. I also have a Crystola made by the Crystola Co. Ltd. and the motor and crank is completely different. I have already attempted that route... so, I am looking for crank/motor photos for a Knabe-Crystola specifically.

As usual, my requests can tend to be obscure and a long shot because they are not Edison/Victor/Columbia related, but where better to ask than this forum? LOL.

Thanks in advance!
Christopher J. Stoessner
Enthusiast, Collector, Historian
Author of Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and the Granby Phonograph

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

cjstoessner
Victor O

Re: Does anybody have a Knabe-Crystola? Need Crank Info

Post by cjstoessner »

Here is a photo for reference and maybe somebody can see why I have hit a brick wall on this quest.... This photo is taken from the back of the cabinet, I took off the rear panel and peeked in.

Look how far the shaft reaches and almost touches the side of the cabinet. That would make for one SHORT crank. Maybe it is one of the Aeolian style cranks because there are two prongs that stick out that a crank would grab onto, no threading that would allow for male or female....

Thanks everyone! Happy New Year!
Attachments
View looking in from back of cabinet
View looking in from back of cabinet

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I am assuming that finding a correct crank for a Knabe-Crystola machine is a needle in a haystack search. In looking at your pic, a possible solution would be to find a period generic male crank that looks appropriate and adapt the winding shaft to accept it. It wouldn't be hard to solder a threaded sleeve of the correct thread pitch that matched the newly found crank to the existing winding shaft, which could also be shortened to accept a longer crank if necessary. Finding a generic crank will be an easy task and since most collectors have never seen a Knabe-Crystola it would never be noticed if you did a good job...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

cjstoessner
Victor O

Post by cjstoessner »

I am in agreement with your points... I thought about my quest after I posted my dilemma and realized - this is going to be tough! LOL.

I have been studying some Aeolian motors and shafts this afternoon and I truly think I may be on to something, a slotted crank maybe? Knabe and Aeolian both started as piano makers so maybe they used a common supplier....I may see if can put my hands on an Aeolian crank and try that first before modifying...

Thanks,