Diamond reproducer lock ring jig

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Herman
Victor II

Diamond reproducer lock ring jig

Post by Herman »

I picked up a project Amberola VI today. Best thing about the phonograph is a very nice Diamond B reproducer. The reproducer has not been tampered with All screw slots were clean as they came from the factory. The diaphragm lock ring was frozen solid in the reproducer body and would not budge.
Forced me to construct a long overdue jig to remove the lock ring. Grabbed a piece of ½" aluminum plate and drilled 4 small holes to match the lock ring. Ground ½ the sharp point off 4 steel record needles and inserted taper point up in the holes I drilled. Lock ring was no match for my jig.
Attachments
jig1.jpg
jig2.jpg
jig3.jpg

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Diamond reproducer lock ring jig

Post by OrthoSean »

I bought this months ago from Amazon, simple, adjustable and it hasn't let me down yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Professio ... ner+wrench

Sean
Attachments
Spanner.JPG

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

OrthoSean wrote:I bought this months ago from Amazon, simple, adjustable and it hasn't let me down yet.

Sean
Very practical and useful. I can guarantee through that it would not have removed this particular ring due to the length of the pointers. They would shurely buckle.

I used one type needles at first and they snapped under the load so I tried a different set of needles and they held up.
Apparently some insect made nest in the body of the reproducer causing corrosion between the ring and the reproducer body.

That being said thanks again for the link as I will order one for normal reproducer use.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Anytime, I was working on a couple of Grafonola reproducers last summer that had totally frozen rings using my homemade thing. Ordered this and they came off like nothing, I've since used this on DD reproducers, Diamond As and Bs and others. Well worth adding to the pike of "useful stuff" :)

Sean

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I once saw the esteemed Wyatt Markus do the Diamond Reproducer Lock Ring Jig, to a lively van Eps banjo tune.

It was a sight to behold, but nowhere near as memorable as that time I watched George Paul and Tim Fabrizio do the Pathé Actuelle Pivot Point Polka, to one of those Piero accordion records.

In the meantime, this one looks like a pretty good deal:

UTEBIT Lens Repair Adjustable Jaw Opening 10-100mm Lens Opening Repairing Tool Kit with 3 Tips+6 Screws+2 Hexagon Wrench Compatible for Canon Nikon Sony Most Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K2Z45MP/re ... nCb68VBH1W

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Herman wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:I bought this months ago from Amazon, simple, adjustable and it hasn't let me down yet.

Sean
Very practical and useful. I can guarantee through that it would not have removed this particular ring due to the length of the pointers. They would shurely buckle.

I used one type needles at first and they snapped under the load so I tried a different set of needles and they held up.
Apparently some insect made nest in the body of the reproducer causing corrosion between the ring and the reproducer body.

That being said thanks again for the link as I will order one for normal reproducer use.
You will like it. I have been using one for years.
Dave D

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I know one can buy these sorts of tools on Amazon, but I can dig the mental exercise and satisfaction of making your own and then watching it do what you intended it to do.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

Note also that my jig has 4 points where the commercial one has 2. Four is better than two in my book :)