Any recommendations on Stripping "Brand" for refinishing?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Any recommendations on Stripping "Brand" for refinishing?

Post by cjstoessner »

I have been tinkering around with some off brand models before moving on the high end machines with Citrus-Strip. Before anybody freaks out, the particular machines I have attempting to strip are the DARK black finishes, you know the type - looks like they came out of barn or attic, or somebody put them out for trash, as black as an appliance - no sign of wood grain underneath, but I know its down there somewhere, LOL.

These are rough machines that would otherwise be relegated for parts or thrown away by unknowing collectors or enthusiasts. They are perfect experiment pieces!!

Here is my question: What BRAND do you guys recommend for stripping? I haven't been thrilled with Citrus Strip so far. It doesn't seem to touch that dried out black finish. Sometimes it dries if I don't get to it quick enough and it's worse than when I started.

I am an amateur, go easy on me - thoughts??? The phonographs in question are 1918 - 1926 typical off brand models.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Any recommendations on Stripping "Brand" for refinishing

Post by Phonofreak »

First, you have to determine if the finish is shellac or varnish. If the finish is shellac, 0000 steel wool will work. Put a little on the steel wool, and rub in little circles on the finish. Do this quickly so , the pieces of steel wool,doesn't get embedded in the finish. This should bring back the luster of the grain. I'm guessing your machine is Mahogany. This will take some practice. If the finish is varnish, use the same procedure, but use acetone. With both applications, work in a well ventilated area. Also, use rubber gloves. For Citripstrip, I have been using that stuff for well over 25 years. I like it because it doesn't stink like other strippers. Also, it is a semi-paste, so it doesn't dribble and mess things up. Also, it is water clean up. What I do is apply it with a paper towel. When the finish start to bubble and lift, I use a plastic scraper and take the finish off. Do not use a metal one, because it will scratch the wood. The other good feature about Citristrip is if doesn't remove the stain or patina. Give it another try.
Harvey Kravitz

cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Post by cjstoessner »

Thank you. I value the input and suggestions! I will re-visit my project(s) and give your advice a try...

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

'First, you have to determine if the finish is shellac or varnish'

Phonofreak,
Whats the best way to do that?

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. For my projects, I have both alcohol(rubbing), and acetone. I would apply a little alcohol to the finish. Do it in an inconspicuous place. If the alcohol dissolves, then the finish is shellac. If the finish does not dissolve, then the finish is varnish, and use acetate,
Harvey Kravitz