Do Grafonola reproducer rings shrink?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Do Grafonola reproducer rings shrink?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Quick question for our COlumbia fans:

I'm restoring an Oxford BZ Phonograph. The machine is in nice shape overall, though quite unloved--but the tonearm came off a very much abused "junker," owned by an old guy who I suspect was a parts swapper with very little skill. (Cool guy though, good at fixing finishes on wood.)

Well I found the ring that holds the mica in the reproducer laying on the bottom of the case with a rotten envelope with Victor fiber needles.

I went to rebuild the Graf reproducer and the ring won't fit. Also, it acts like the rubber tubing is a little too big for it to fit comfortably. I am using Sitko's Grafonola rubber.

And how do I get that thing off the tonearm?

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Do Grafonola reproducer rings shrink?

Post by Phonofreak »

What ring are you talking about? There is a ring made pf plated spring steel that holds the mica and gaskets into the reproducer. That doesn't shrink. Do you think it was a home made one to replace the original that was lost? Pictures would help.
Harvey Kravitz

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Thanks, I didn't realize it was steel.

Now I'm worried that the reproducer body has swelled...I'll get pictures soon, but right now I am busy.

Victrola reproducers are so much simpler to fix.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

And at this point it doesn't matter. The tonearm was the early drawn brass type, and the reproducer potmetal that had swelled to the point the ring wouldn't fit.

So the ring is rusted, the reproducer body swelled, and the tonearm (SURPRISE!) has a crack in it.

Any ideas what now?

SSBN 657
Victor O

Post by SSBN 657 »

Like Harvey said, the ring (steel) won't shrink. However I do think that the reproducer body can swell. I have had two that the ring just falls out. Used clear silicone to hold all together. worked fine.

Tim

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Thanks, Tim. Once I solder up the tonearm again, I am going to have to put in a new needle bar (the old one was broken at the tip by previous owners harvesting mica) and then silicone this thing together and call it good.

I hate this Oxford phonograph...but then again, every phonograph I absolutely loathe during the repair process becomes an instant favorite when it plays a record for the first time.

Based on that logic, and the winning design looks of the BZ Hornless, I ought to find it a fun little machine for many years to come.