Victor Single Spring Motor question

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
USlakeside
Victor III

Victor Single Spring Motor question

Post by USlakeside »

I have a new machine, (see post about the strange tone arm) made by G & T. The motor wont wind. What is strange is that it all looks intact. The spring barrel has a brass gear the same dimension as the barrel riveted to the barrel. This would directly engage the worm gear or turntable spindle shaft. The winding shaft has a small gear that then turns a medium sized gear (which also has the ratchet gear attached) that seems as if it is supposed to be stationary on the shaft that goes all the way through the spring barrel. Instead it just freely spins and wont come off at all. So basically, when you wind, the crank turns the first tiny gear, then the crank turns, endlessly, the gear I would assume actually delivers tension to the spring inside the barrel.
Attachments
P1017514.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Victor Single Spring Motor question

Post by gramophoneshane »

It sounds like the spring has become detached from the centre arbor, which comes off the gear you've marked as spinning freely.
The spring might be broken in the centre at the pear shaped hole, or it could have simply come off the rivet, or the rivet may have pulled out.
Either way, you'll have to open it up & have a look.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

The shaft that goes through the barrel holds tension. If you grip just the shaft and rotate it you feel the spring engaging, its the gears that are separate from the shaft. On my Vic V this gear "grabs" onto the shaft with a T-pin that goes through the shaft and fits into a recessed notched on the gear.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Ah, now that I check my motor, the motor I was thinking of is a different set-up to yours.
I haven't worked on a single spring the same as yours. The closest I have (and am currently working on) is the triple spring type.
The last two photos show the gear you've marked (which I guess is the same as in your Vic V) . There's a pin that passes through the shaft on the underside of the gear, so the best guess I've got is that this pin has broken & is allowing the gear to spin on the shaft. The single spring motor might be a different set-up again though?
Attachments
vic motor 002.JPG
vic motor 004.JPG
vic motor 005.JPG

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Thanks! This is helpful. Is this gear a Single Spring gear? It looks like it has an interior ring that maybe spins on its own? This could explain why the gear will rotate but not engage. The long pin may have snapped. How would you get this gear off? I can see a way.

Thanks

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

The gear is off the 3 spring version of your motor. Once you've got the barrel & gear out, the gear & rod should just pull out of the spring barrel.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

How do you get that gear off? Mine freely spins independent of the gear shaft but wont move off of it at all. The shaft also is locked inplace presumably by the pin inside that grabs the inner-most end of the main spring

Thanks for all the advice!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I spun the shaft backwards until I could hear it make a click (when it's disconnected from the spring) & kept turning the shaft backwards as I withdrew the shaft.
When I took the gear off the shaft, I used a punch down inbetween the barrel & gear, using the slot in the gear as a guide.
I've just this minute put my motor back together, and I was dreading putting the pin back in, with the gear on the shaft, then I suddenly realised I didn't have to.
Once the shaft was back in the barrel, I put the washer on & then put the pin through the shaft.
Then the gear just slids onto the shaft & the pin fits into the slot. The bearing at the other end of the shaft is adjustable, so I screwed the bearing inward until there was no movement of the barrel/shaft between the bearings, but no so tight that it restricted the barrel & gear turning freely (if you know what I mean).

I just pulled it out & took a couple pictures.
Hopefully, the first one should be what you're looking at on your barrel.
When I pulled mine down originally, the gear wouldn't budge off the shaft either, so I'm guessing this was simple because there was so much grease & corrosion holding it there.
Perhaps if you can turn the shaft backwards to disengage the spring & get the shaft out, You'll be able to gently tap the shaft out of the gear.
I've got a couple holes drilled in my work bench for stuff like this. I just put the shaft in the hole, and then the bench surface supports the gear so nothing gets bent.
The second picture just shows the washer & pin, and the third is just the gear sliding down the shaft. Now that everythings clean, the gear slids up & down really easy. I did have to tap the shaft when I took it apart for the pics, because the gear was pretty firmly in place on the pin.
So if your pin is missing, you'll have to replace it with the correct size pin again, as it seems it needs to bite into the gear slot to hold it all together securely.
Attachments
hmv mlb 002.JPG
hmv mlb 004.JPG
hmv mlb 007.JPG

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

I will have to give this a try. what is a "punch down" is that a tool? Thanks.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Oops... I probably should have put a comma inbetween punch and down :)
It was just a centre punch I used down beside the gear.