Reproducer rattle after new gaskets, mica.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Reproducer rattle after new gaskets, mica.

Post by antique1973 »

I have rebuilt 3 different types of reproducers with new gaskets and micas. Most records sound good but
during the loud and especially low frequency (deep tone) passages there are always rattles and excessive
vibration. Sometimes to the point that the needle will actually skip from the vibrations. It seems to be
most pronounced with Classical records like Bach Toccata and Fugue for example. Any ideas what might be
causing this or is it simply a limitation of the technology itself? Thanks.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Reproducer rattle after new gaskets, mica.

Post by Brad »

It could possibly be that you are playing electrically recorded records with loud needles. Suggest your try soft tone needles and see if that helps.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

This one does it the most: its a Victor Red Seal record. There is no reference to being electrically recorded.
Sorry the picture is not the greatest.
Attachments
P4140022.JPG

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

What brand are the soundboxes in question?
Im wondering if perhaps the needle bar pivots might be too tight or loose, and either the lack of, or too much movement is happening at the needle as a result.
Then again, there are a couple different sized gaskets that were used in soundboxes. The Exhibition type is the most common, but there is also a slightly larger diameter that was used in some, such as Pathé, Oro-tone etc.
Also if the soundboxes are pot metal, they may have swollen & the mica could be a little loose.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

That's an electrical recording from the thirties. The little VE in the diamond that you can see pressed in the shellac above the label tells the tale. That Stokowski transcription of the Toccatta and Fugue is a real work-out for an earlier mica sound box. The record was a sonic show stopper when it was issued.

Jim

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Correct, that record is not meant for earlier type reproducers and would probably come close to distorting, if it doesn't on a orthophonic type reproducer. I stick pretty much to acoustic recording for those earlier machines. Some of the latter designs used mica as well and worked pretty well, but generally they are larger and can handle a bit of vibration better, but yes a soft needle or medium tone at the most. Actually the Telefunken portable I have that is a latter type has a very large diaphragm and even with a soft needle it can run you out of the house.

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

Thanks for all the input guys. The reproducers are Victor No 2, Starr, and Silvertone. I tried some of the older black label Victor
records and they seem to be much less of a problem. The Silvertone does it the most but it has the smallest mica so that seems
to make sense it would have the most vibrations. I tried loosening the retaining screws on the needle holders and that helps a little on the Starr and did not change much at all on the Silvertone. I will just stick to the older records and play the newer ones on my fake "antique" crosly. lol.