Help with Edison c-19

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
djacobsen1
Victor Jr

Re: Help with Edison c-19

Post by djacobsen1 »

marcapra wrote:If it's just loose, why not just glue it back in or nail it again?
I'm going to try to glue it back in. It's just such a awkward angle to do anything with though.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Marc is correct. These weren't constructed in a way to be easily disassembled, as I responded to you in our PM's.

The only reason I posted images was so that the entire assembly could be understood for servicing potential problems.

I'd add this:

If I were to do this, I'd probably lay the machine on its back on the floor - it might be easier to reach inside to reattach that back stop piece. I'm no contortionist. I'd try to use a mirror and flashlight to help see where the piece belongs.

BEFORE YOU LAY IT DOWN ON ITS BACK:

1. Remove the crank and let the machine run down all the way first!

2. Remove the reproducer, and set it somewhere safe with the diamond stylus UP so it doesn't get damaged!

3. Remove the turntable by pulling it straight up off of the spindle.

4. Secure the lid, then you can carefully tip the machine back and lay it down on its back.

Best of luck,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

djacobsen1 wrote:I'm having the hardest of times trying to find the nails (in your pics and mine)
Just for posterity, here's my earlier image with the nails that secured the assembly's base to the cabinet circled in RED.

Yours might be different, or the nails could be hidden under the slotted piece.

Either way, removing the entire assembly shouldn't have been considered to begin with, in my opinion. You can reattach the back stop piece with care and patience.

Best regards,
Fran
Attachments
Base nails (Large).JPG
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.