Columbia #2 Reproducer

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
zapper
Victor II

Columbia #2 Reproducer

Post by zapper »

I am restoring my Graphophone 'B' and have a new diaphragm to fit in the reproducer. Can anyone help me by telling me how this should be fixed in place and whether it has a finishing 'ring' or sealed with wax.
Thanks

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Columbia #2 Reproducer

Post by Lucius1958 »

Is there any threading on the inside of the reproducer body? That would indicate a ring, or bezel, was used. If not, then the outer edge of the diaphragm would be sealed with beeswax.

With a screw bezel, you would put the diaphragm on top of the inner gasket, put an outer gasket over the diaphragm, and screw the bezel down. Without the bezel, the outer gasket is not necessary.

Bill

zapper
Victor II

Post by zapper »

Thank you Bill for your help. I have checked the body and there is no thread/bezel ring so I will find some beeswax and seal diaphragm in with that. I also need to fit a new stylus, which I will set with shellac.
Regards Brian

zapper
Victor II

Post by zapper »

I have mounted the new stylus in the bar and dry fitted the diaphragm in the gasket. This gasket is ‘u’ shaped and fits around the diaphragm. How should I now fix it to the body?
Attachments
43AB2334-E3EA-47E6-A9DB-2B1D30F98A27.jpeg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

zapper wrote:I have mounted the new stylus in the bar and dry fitted the diaphragm in the gasket. This gasket is ‘u’ shaped and fits around the diaphragm. How should I now fix it to the body?
I have never seen a gasket like that, so I do not know how how you would do that. The Columbia reproducers used a plain flat gasket.

Bill