Painting new 14" black & brass horns

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Painting new 14" black & brass horns

Post by Jerry B. »

Here in Oregon it's finally warm enough to apply a little spray paint. So I took advantage and painted some new 14" horns.

1 - I found it easiest to tape the inside of the bell as a first step.
2 - I use WypAll paper towels for quite a few projects around the house. I found that by marking a towel using the inside of an old roll of masking tape gave a nice size templet for the cutout for the brass bell. The brass bell on the current reproduction horns is just slightly smaller than the steel body of the horn. I was able to slide the towel over the steel body and it popped over the threshold of the bell. That brand of paper towel is a little elastic and it worked great. I'm not sure how well a regular paper towel would work.
3 - I used the excess of the paper towel and more masking tape to cover the inside of the brass bell.
4- Using a clean cloth and some denatured alcohol I cleaned the bare steel before painting.
5 - Finally, I applied paint and inspected each horn.
6- Tomorrow I'll remove the towel and tape.
7 - I let each horn sit by itself for a couple of weeks to allow the paint harden before stacking the horns. The horns will be stacked with something between each horn.

I probably have six hours invested in the painting of sixteen horns.

Jerry Blais
Attachments
IMG_3289.JPG
IMG_3290.JPG
IMG_3292.JPG
IMG_3293.JPG
IMG_3294.JPG
IMG_3295.JPG
IMG_3296.JPG
IMG_3297.JPG
IMG_3298.JPG
IMG_3300.JPG

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Painting new 14" black & brass horns

Post by Roaring20s »

Looking good.

Interested in knowing how well the inner surface of the cone turns out.
Any tricks for coverage without drips?

James.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Painting new 14" black & brass horns

Post by Jerry B. »

I have used my shop vacuum to pull paint through the inside of a horn. It seemed to work fine and then I painted the outside of the horn. I did not do this with these 14" horns. It's a balancing act to get enough paint down the throat and avoid too much paint towards the bell. I did my best... Today is clean up day. I'll use lacquer thinner to remove traces of paint on places it should be. I'll be sure to wear protective rubber gloves when working with strong chemicals.

Someone sent a PM asking if I sell these horns. No, that's not my intention. I buy a batch every few years and they seem to get used. I may take a few to APS in California but that's about it. Ron Sitko and Musical Americana do so many positive things for our hobby and I have no desire to step on their toes.

Jerry Blais