I finally did it, spring release and replace!

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

I finally did it, spring release and replace!

Post by antique1973 »

Well, my VV 100 ran ok but the thumping and bumping finally pushed me over the edge, and I
decided to pull the springs for an overhaul. I used a plastic bucket and it was a good
thing because the springs shot out of the barrels violently as I was removing them. :o It went really
smooth in general, and the worst part was just the messy grease. A big thanks to Shane for your
excellent video, this was a HUGE help. The motor runs strong and quiet now. :D
Attachments
P4290010.JPG
P4290011.JPG
P4290007.JPG

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Re: I finally did it, spring release and replace!

Post by SonnyPhono »

Congrats on your first spring removal! Keep it up! :)

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

Thanks Sonnyphono, this is only the beginning! :)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I'm glad it worked out ok for you, and I'm pleased to hear my video was of some help too.
Once you've put a couple springs into the barrel, you might want to try taking them out by hand. It's really a lot safer for the spring. Once you get used to the forces envolved with putting a spring in, it's pretty easy to pull them out too. With a bit of practise, you'll be able to do them with your eyes closed :)

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Hats off to you. I have to admit, I personally hate doing the motor cleaning. It seems to be a source of eternal frustration for me. Invariably I put something in slightly incorrectly, and have to break it back down again, and then end up fighting those crazy retaining rings to cap the barrel again. I think I've reached the point where I'm just as happy to send a motor out to someone else to deal with.

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

Zeppy wrote:Hats off to you. I have to admit, I personally hate doing the motor cleaning. It seems to be a source of eternal frustration for me. Invariably I put something in slightly incorrectly, and have to break it back down again, and then end up fighting those crazy retaining rings to cap the barrel again. I think I've reached the point where I'm just as happy to send a motor out to someone else to deal with.
Oh come on now Zep, it's not so bad. A little grease under your fingernails is good for ya :lol:

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Victor78 wrote:
Zeppy wrote:Hats off to you. I have to admit, I personally hate doing the motor cleaning. It seems to be a source of eternal frustration for me. Invariably I put something in slightly incorrectly, and have to break it back down again, and then end up fighting those crazy retaining rings to cap the barrel again. I think I've reached the point where I'm just as happy to send a motor out to someone else to deal with.
Oh come on now Zep, it's not so bad. A little grease under your fingernails is good for ya :lol:
The grease doesn't bother me....it's those stupid retaining rings that get the best of me!

Probably spend more time trying to put the rings back in than it took to take apart and clean the whole thing

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I always had trouble with those until the last few I've done. I found if I put the cover on the barrel, then laid a piece of wood on top & gave it a good hard "tap" down with a hammer to push the spring all the way down into the barrel, the retaining wire slipped in easily. I've only had one since doing this, that I had to help push the wire into the groove with long nose pliers.

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

Thanks guys, yeah that retaining ring shot out at me too the first one I removed! Almost took me out. :shock:
I opened up a couple barrels on my XVI yesterday and this time putting the rings back in was easier. For me
I just try to make sure to keep my hand over it with a glove on in case it pops out. Also, the cover needs to
be flush to make room for the ring to seat so I gently tap the cover with the handle of a screwdriver first.
I will then close the retaining ring and put the ring's end parts in first to keep them from popping apart. This works
pretty good for me.

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

gramophoneshane wrote:I'm glad it worked out ok for you, and I'm pleased to hear my video was of some help too.
Once you've put a couple springs into the barrel, you might want to try taking them out by hand. It's really a lot safer for the spring. Once you get used to the forces envolved with putting a spring in, it's pretty easy to pull them out too. With a bit of practise, you'll be able to do them with your eyes closed :)
Thanks Shane. I think the spookiest part is removing the springs for me. It seemed like I only pulled it out slightly before
it leaped out on its own accord. Like you say though, it should be the same process in reverse to do it the safer way.
I need to keep a better grip on it I think.
Last edited by antique1973 on Sun May 09, 2010 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.