How Do You Clean Your Original Record Holders?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

How Do You Clean Your Original Record Holders?

Post by travisgreyfox »

I have a set that I just received that are kind of dull and dirty. Do you have a miracle solution to bring them back to life? I have always just used a little soapy water and gently wiped them down.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: How Do You Clean Your Original Record Holders?

Post by OrthoSean »

Do you mean multi page / pocket storage albums? I've had good luck using equal parts of distilled water and white vinegar in a spray bottle. Lightly spray onto a paper towel or even right on the album itself and then wipe off and let air dry for at least 12 hours. I haven't noticed any problems, although I suspect some types of albums might not take being wiped down well (like the leather type 8-35 Victrola albums)

Sean

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

I've never attempted to clean albums but have had success cleaning other forms of paper with a tablespoon of oxyclean in a pint of lukewarm water.

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

No experience per se, but I'd be worried about using anything non PH neutral (e.g. vinegar is acidic) as it may leave an acidic or caustic residue which would eat into the material over time. The albums themselves are not acid free stock so they are already eating themselves, so maybe I am worrying needlesly. In any case I might only use distilled water

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Well again, I speak only from what I have experience with. I'd never try this solution on anything that I would be risking further damage to. I've actually been moving and re-shelving a number of classical sets that had some really filthy outer covers on them when I got them. I cleaned them as I mentioned above probably 5-10 years ago or more for some and they're just fine. I wouldn't recommend trying to clean the actual sleeves, although I know of people that have sprayed down mildew / moldy paper inner sleeves with Lysol to kill off any spores. I've not tried that, but I have gently used a Clorox wipe on a couple sets that had nasty sleeves, those too have held up just fine. I think the key is to be sure whatever you clean can have plenty of time to air dry before you put anything in them or pack them on a shelf alongside more albums / sleeves. I'd not bother with those green sleeves in Victor albums, though, they just fall apart, then again, I don't store records in those, so I suppose that's moot.

Sean