Servicing the 1916 Victor VV-IX Motor

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Servicing the 1916 Victor VV-IX Motor

Post by audiophile102 »

I never serviced a Victor motor before so I did research and contacted Roger Merenkov for help. Proceeding slowly, I took lots of photos along the way. Getting the retaining rings out was difficult. Once free of the rings I then tried to open the lids on the barrels, but I had trouble figuring it out. I stepped away to write this and when I went back, the answer just presented it's self and they are off. I put the spring barrels in a tall can and wore gloves before getting them out. Freeing the springs from the barrels was easy. I successfully disassembled the entire motor and cleaned everything with mineral spirits and an old tooth brush. Re-attaching the springs to the rivet inside the barrel was a challenge. Re-inserting the springs went well. I packed the springs with synthetic grease and oiled where required with premium gear oil. Once I had it re-assembled, it ran like it was brand new. Check out my You Tube video and turn up the volume so you can hear it run. Here is a You Tube video I made of the first test of the re-assembled motor. https://youtu.be/ZDvTY7FIYU0 If your spring driven motor bumps and needs service, be sure to look for Chilldude's You Tube page here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7-yq ... JKlS84hR0A
ContactSheet-001.jpg
ContactSheet-002.jpg
ContactSheet-003.jpg
ContactSheet-004.jpg
ContactSheet-005.jpg
ContactSheet-006.jpg
ContactSheet-007.jpg
ContactSheet-008.jpg
ContactSheet-009.jpg
Last edited by audiophile102 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Servicing the 1916 Victor VV-IX Motor

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks, very helpful. Jerry Blais

Victor VI

Re: Servicing the 1916 Victor VV-IX Motor

Post by 52089 »

Getting the retaining rings out it not a major challenge. Getting them back can be.

My technique is to act like the ring is a circlip, which is to say, put the ends of the ring in first and apply pressure to the middle of the ring. You will probably need a screwdriver - and perhaps a second set of hands - to do this, at least the first time or 2.