Songster hints

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
soundgen
Victor VI

Songster hints

Post by soundgen »

Do not remove your gramophone from a warm room to a cold room or you may break the mainspring

When not in use allow your gramophone to run down a little to take the tension off the spring

Never allow the motor to run down fully , this risks the spring being damaged if someone spins the turntable

Keep your records covered up when not in use . An occasional dusting is helpful

Don’t interfere with the motor take it to an expert when it goes wrong . He has the tools and the expertise

Don’t use any steel needle more than once . Use Songsters once only and your records will not wear

http://gramophoneworkshop.blogspot.com/ ... -post.html
Attachments
asong.jpg
asong.jpg (43.8 KiB) Viewed 1359 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Songster hints

Post by epigramophone »

An interesting item which I have not seen before.

More common are the series of ten "Gramophone Hints" printed on the reverse of dealer's cardboard record covers, or envelopes as Songster called them, and the similar but less common "Needle Points" series. I have all ten "Gramophone Hints" but not many "Needle Points". Does anyone know how many there were?
Attachments
Hint 5.jpg

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

epigramophone wrote:An interesting item which I have not seen before.

More common are the series of ten "Gramophone Hints" printed on the reverse of dealer's cardboard record covers, or envelopes as Songster called them, and the similar but less common "Needle Points" series. I have all ten "Gramophone Hints" but not many "Needle Points". Does anyone know how many there were?
It would be great if you could post pictures of all 10

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Here they are, plus the one example I have from the scarce "Needle Points" series.
Attachments
1&2.jpg
3&4.jpg
5&6.jpg
7&8.jpg
9&10.jpg
NP2.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

I always loved "Don't interfere with the mechanism of your gramophone. If it is out of order take it to a practical man." Still brings a giggle when I see one of those sleeves.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

epigramophone wrote:Here they are, plus the one example I have from the scarce "Needle Points" series.
that's great , I don't think I have ever seen all 10 and never the needle Points , how many "needle points" are there and has anyone any more ?