Victor VV-90 Two Spring Motor Rebuild.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
F_R_Parker1
Victor Jr

Victor VV-90 Two Spring Motor Rebuild.

Post by F_R_Parker1 »

To start off, I am a complete layman when it comes to mechanical record players as I mainly do radio restorations. When I bought this VV-90 and cranked it up, I could get it to crank about 25 times before violently shuddering, as if something was slipping. It ran (usually) for one side of one record, and maybe half of another before petering out. I pulled the motor because it also had loud shudders of the same type while playing. I watched chilldude2007's videos on rebuilding the same motor and proceeded to take it apart. I washed off everything in kerosene (including the sealed shut spring barrel). I opened the spring barrel. Spring 1 came out without a hitch. Spring 2 was perfect until the very end when the eyelet snapped forward. Not having the time, space, or resources to heat the metal to a cherry red and make a new hole, I was going to purchase new springs. However, I noticed scoring on the spring barrel.

My first question is: Should I buy a new, preloaded spring barrel, or is it okay to still use this one?

Secondly, the governor pad is not in terrible shape (I did NOT put it in the kerosene), but it is as hard as a rock. It regulated speed okay. Should the contact plate be oiled or greased with anything to prevent it from over gripping (if that is even possible)?

Finally, I have included pictures of the drive gear and winding gear. They look to be in okay condition.

Thanks everyone,
Forrest

P.S: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. I've read through everything pretty closely, so this seems like the right spot.
Attachments
IMG_11081.jpg
IMG_11081.jpg (82.33 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
IMG_10991.jpg
IMG_10991.jpg (87.03 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
IMG_11051.jpg
IMG_11051.jpg (66.84 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
IMG_10971.jpg
IMG_10971.jpg (84.97 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
IMG_10961.jpg
IMG_10961.jpg (82.2 KiB) Viewed 1174 times

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Re: Victor VV-90 Two Spring Motor Rebuild.

Post by Mormon S »

You should be good to use the barrel again without problem. I had the exact same thing recently. What it means is that the spring has been broken for a long time, and the broken end of the spring has slowly carved away those 2 lines. You should be fine with buying a new spring, and re-greasing both barrels.

Soak the gover pad with oil, it should suck some in, become a little bit softer, and glide on the contact plate pretty well.

Martin
Last edited by Mormon S on Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F_R_Parker1
Victor Jr

Post by F_R_Parker1 »

Wonderful. I will set upon that task tomorrow.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Hope you noted how each spring is mounted in the barrel. Meaning, one will spiral clockwise and the other, counterclockwise. If you didn't notice that before disassembly, you have been left a clue by the outline of the outermost spring end being left in the spring barrel. Be sure to grease the new springs.

F_R_Parker1
Victor Jr

Post by F_R_Parker1 »

I did :D . They wind the same way chilldude2007’s mainsprings did. Now I don’t know if the spring windings can differ from clockwise on the bottom and counterclockwise on the top, but I should think that all of these two spring motors were made uniformly in nature.

P.S: When I refer to clockwise and counterclockwise, I’m referring to when the new springs are being installed, they are put in clockwise from the rivet on the bottom, and counterclockwise from the rivet on the top.
Last edited by F_R_Parker1 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

F_R_Parker1
Victor Jr

Post by F_R_Parker1 »

I just got the springs in the mail yesterday. I will probably put them in today, maybe tomorrow.