VV XI Victrola spring repair?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Larry Rockville
Victor Jr

VV XI Victrola spring repair?

Post by Larry Rockville »

I just bought a Victrola VV IX at an estate sale. I was told it worked, but alas, arrived home to find it did not!
I can crank the handle, and the turntable spins, but not with enough speed to play the record. It must be the springs, right?
Any input would be appreciated. THANKS! Larry from Rockville, MD

Victor VI

Re: VV XI Victrola spring repair?

Post by 52089 »

First of all, how many times did you turn the crank? You'll probably need something like 30 full turns to get the turntable up to full maintainable speed. Crank until you feel significant resistance.

Second, the IX has a speed control, usually in the lower right corner by the turntable. You can turn that to see if it helps.

Third, the motor almost certainly needs service - remove and replace lubrication, clean governor, clean and regrease springs.

Fourth, your spring(s) may be weak and need to be replaced.

You'll find that the basics of all of the above have been covered here many times. Use the board's search feature and you'll find tons of good info.

Welcome to the hobby!

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: VV XI Victrola spring repair?

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

If you think you need a new spring or have repair questions. a good source is Ron Sitko. He has a phone number in the links section and is usually available in the evening.