How to Wire up/connect radio loud speaker with a electrical

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
iGramo
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Passionate abut preserving our rich heritage for tomorrow

How to Wire up/connect radio loud speaker with a electrical

Post by iGramo »

Hi there fellow friends,
I am writing to you seeking your valued guidance and information.

I have one HMV number 11 electrical pick up (for wind up gramophone 102), I am curious how to wire a radio loud-speaker with it.
Appreciate your valued guidance very much.

Wishing all a very happy weekend ahead. Cheers

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: How to Wire up/connect radio loud speaker with a electri

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Of course you can't wire it directly to a loudspeaker, the audio signal needs to be amplified first.

If by "radio" you mean a vintage tube radio, these usually have an input receptacle marked "PHONO" on the back of the chassis which should match the specifications of your pick-up.

The complete setup should be as in the attached picture (if it is not so, please post a picture of what you have). The pick-up should have a wire that connects it to an intermediate volume control, from which another wire departs that should be terminated with a pair of standard banana-style plugs. These plugs should go into the PHONO receptacle of the radio.

Try to connect it this way and select the PHONO input on the radio with the rotary switch or keyboard. If you hear a lot of hum or buzzing background noise, try to invert the banana plugs in the PHONO receptacle.

iGramo
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Passionate abut preserving our rich heritage for tomorrow

Re: How to Wire up/connect radio loud speaker with a electri

Post by iGramo »

Many thanks mate for your informed reply. My apologies as I am replying you belatedly.
Right now I am looking for a small tube amplifier, any idea where can I buy one. Many thanks again.