Orthophonic Tonearm Base 'Repair'

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Orthophonic Tonearm Base 'Repair'

Post by CDBPDX »

I recently acquired a Victor 8-30x and among it's problems was a broken tone arm bracket, the pot metal part that secures the tonearm at the top. I had another orthophonic tone arm and base in good condition but that tone arm was nickel plated, too short, and mounted at the wrong angle for the 8-30 so I thought I could take the base apart and move the pot metal part over to the 8-30 tone arm base. Unfortunately, the pot metal part had swollen and was terminally stuck in the steel base. The only way I could think of to get the pot metal part out in one piece was to cut off the metal base, so I did and it worked! I installed the pot metal part into the 8-30 steel base and now I have a good tone arm for my 8-30!!
Attachments
VICTOR_8-30X_0007.jpg
VICTOR_8-30X_0006.jpg
VICTOR_8-30X_0003.jpg
VICTOR_8-30X_0001.jpg
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Orthophonic Tonearm Base 'Repair'

Post by AZ* »

Great work. Those swollen brackets can be tough to get out. On one of mine, the bracket was toast, but I needed to save the base so I could install one of Smith's replacement brackets. I had to cut and chop the old bracket out and then clean up and repaint the base.

P.S. Castle Rock, Washington? Home of the finest cheesecake I've ever tasted as prepared by Chef Tony at Parker's Restaurant.
Best regards ... AZ*

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Re: Orthophonic Tonearm Base 'Repair'

Post by CDBPDX »

AZ* wrote:Great work. Those swollen brackets can be tough to get out. On one of mine, the bracket was toast, but I needed to save the base so I could install one of Smith's replacement brackets. I had to cut and chop the old bracket out and then clean up and repaint the base.

P.S. Castle Rock, Washington? Home of the finest cheesecake I've ever tasted as prepared by Chef Tony at Parker's Restaurant.
I also had to cut and chop the old bracket out of the 8-30 base whilst trying not to damage it. Lots of fun!

Might have to try the cheesecake at Parkers. Usually, we go to Peper's 49'er.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8