Need help: Spindle removal Columbia BN Pictures Added

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
colmike1
Victor III

Need help: Spindle removal Columbia BN Pictures Added

Post by colmike1 »

I am getting ready to replace the fiber gear on my late Columbia BN disc phonograph. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the spindle to do this job. It has the brass cones above and below the motor bed plate. Are these pressure fit or is there another trick to remove them? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
20190630_122047.jpg
20190630_122037.jpg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Need help: Spindle removal Columbia BN Pictures Added

Post by Phono-Phan »

If you remove the setscrew on the gear body, the shaft should come out.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

I have loosened that set screw & the lower gear portion comes off but the cone shaped brass piece above it does not seem to move. I don't know whether it is pressure fit or there is a hidden screw I am not seeing.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Somebody has completely botched that up at some time. First, I'm nearly certain that the gear assembly is in there upside down. Second, the brass cone between the gear and the motor frame should NOT be there at all.

OR, thinking about it further, that gear assembly may not be so much upside down, as it may be just the wrong gear assembly for that motor. There should be almost no space between the bevel gear and the fiber governor drive gear. Yours has those 2 gears sitting relatively far apart.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

It meshed fine with the governor (which I removed). It was "clicking" due to a bad fiber gear tooth. It is all original, but definitely a late model. Just need to know whether I can use pressure to move the brass cone or if there is a fastener holding it.

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

There's only one way for the spindle to be removed, it has to be pulled out from the top. So do nothing with the brass cone topside.
The brass gear and spacer must come off from the bottom of the spindle as it's pulled upwards.
Although the brass gear and spacer may be stuck on the spindle they are not a pressed fit. They should slide off the bottom of the spindle.
Even with the set screw loose you may have to use some solvent or heat to break the bond of dried up oil.

Larry Crandell

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

colmike1 wrote:It meshed fine with the governor (which I removed). It was "clicking" due to a bad fiber gear tooth. It is all original, but definitely a late model. Just need to know whether I can use pressure to move the brass cone or if there is a fastener holding it.
The fiber gear probably would mesh o.k., except for the nicks, but does the bevel gear mesh as well??? Maybe I've got an earlier style motor in mind.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Phonolair wrote:There's only one way for the spindle to be removed, it has to be pulled out from the top. So do nothing with the brass cone topside.
The brass gear and spacer must come off from the bottom of the spindle as it's pulled upwards.
Although the brass gear and spacer may be stuck on the spindle they are not a pressed fit. They should slide off the bottom of the spindle.
Even with the set screw loose you may have to use some solvent or heat to break the bond of dried up oil.
I will give that a try. Thanks

Larry Crandell