I can't get this spring cannister open

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here

I can't get this spring cannister open

Post by Guest »

This old Victrola has been in the family since my great-great grandfather bought it new, not exactly sure when. The tag is hard to make out I think it says XXV or XVV. The engine is a two spring with horizontal governor assembly.

Anyways back in the 60's it stopped working and got put in my great grandparents the basement, it got shipped up when that house sold and now sits as decoration in the living rooms. But I have tons of records for it and thought it would be cool to get it running again.

So I took it apart, decreased it found the pin that connects the larger winding gear to the axle had sheared off so I pushed it off to one side so that it connected again, reassembled it and it promptly began working.

Then the pin must have sheared off again because it ran out all at once, after making a new pin and replacing it I found the winding mechanism unresponsive.

Upon taking it back apart again I've found the outer spring canister is no longer connected, the axle just spins on its bearings.

I was able to take the outer sleeve off, but the case seems otherwise sealed.

How do I get this thing off?