How compatible are the platters?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
2500ak
Victor Jr

How compatible are the platters?

Post by 2500ak »

My Victrola X is missing its platter, I've looked everywhere for it. I think it may have been thrown out with other things when my great-grandparents house was sold.

I've managed to fabricate a rough analogy out of: a dowel, cd, broken record, JB Weld, and some felt. It works but its not perfect, I want an original.

Does anyone still make them, and if not from what models of Victrola can I get a compatible platter.

Thanks.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: How compatible are the platters?

Post by OrthoFan »

I don't know which model VV-X you have, but you should be able to easily locate a replacement. So far as I know, any standard type "pressed steel" 12" Victrola (pre-Orthophonic) turntable should fit. You'll want one that was originally nickel plated.

These come up for sale from time to time on eBay, but you can also check with some of the repair shops listed on this site under the "Accessories/Restoration" section near the bottom of the page -- http://www.proaxis.com/~settlet/record/links.html

They'll probably want to know the machine's serial number, and perhaps, see a photo of the motor.

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II
Personal Text: VV-XVII, VV-XVI, VV-107, VV-IX's....

Re: How compatible are the platters?

Post by SignatureSeriesOwner »

I have several, and I'd certainly sell you one cheap. I just need to make sure it's a nickel plated one.

Does your motor have a "pin" near the bottom of the spindle?
Saving America's Acoustical History, One Phonograph At A Time...