Guidance needed regarding a winding shaft spring

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Guidance needed regarding a winding shaft spring

Post by nostalgia »

I will try to make a new winding shaft spring from piano wire,and have looked in "The Compleat Talking Machine" book for guidance.
This is my absolutely first days of repairing, or even opening a motor, so I am not at all experienced in this.
I have disassembled a Union motor, and have also remved the main spring, and the winding shaft, even if it still can be seen on the attached photo. As far as I can understand the fixing point for the new coil must be at the hole to the upper left on the photo, but to me this hole looks strange. Is anyone familier with Union motors, or understand how this fixation should be, since it is impossible to attach a screw to this hole. I ask first, instead of possibly ruining something. In parcicular I don't want to ruin a rare Union motor! As it is now, there are no winding shaft spring at all, and the crank/ winding handle spins backwards.
Any help is highly appreciated.
Attachments
august2019 010.JPG

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Guidance needed regarding a winding shaft spring

Post by soundgen »

More pictures would help and pictures of the hole !

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Guidance needed regarding a winding shaft spring

Post by nostalgia »

The first thing one get blind on are the eyes, it is like I need teach my brain to see and understand the mechanics, since I have never read any mechanics, or done any mechanical work. I guess it is similar to when tribal people see an aeroplane for the first time, they see it as a bird, since they have no reference point for it.
Anyway,,, I have spent the last days looking at gramophone motors, trying to understand how they work, and when writing the first message in this post I thought the hole to the upper right was the fixation hole for the winding shaft spring coil, Since then I have discovered two more holes in this area, one with a scew and one that has no screw, but still has threads. I am uploading more photos, hopefully someone can help me out to realize how this coil should be installed, since there are no room for the coil at the entrance of the shaft, and also the shaft itself is mostly open, and not closed, and will leave the coil to spin if it does not have two fixation points? . The hole on the outside of the shaft, also must have a mission, and as stated above there are two more holes with threads that can be used for fastening the coil. I believe the screw shown on photo must be one of the fixation points, since it has no other obvious mission, and then the screw hole without a screw, but with threads, are a question mark for me, at the time of writing this.
Attachments
complete motor.JPG
end of shaft.JPG
outside hole.JPG
on top hole with threads and  lower fixation point for coil...or....JPG
different angle of holes.JPG
no room for coil here.JPG