Mainspring cleaning products?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Mainspring cleaning products?

Post by alang »

I have been using mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, etc to clean mainsprings and other parts that are heavily crusted with old graphite grease and dirt. Since I moved my workshop from the garage to the basement I would be interested in other options which are less hazardess. Carburator cleaner or brake cleaner seem just as volatile and flammable. What do you use and how do some of these safer products work for you? Are there real alternatives?

Thanks
Andreas

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Re: Mainspring cleaning products?

Post by Mormon S »

While gojo is good for cleaning wood, it also conveniently helps in releasing grease from motor parts. I clean the spring and barrel with gojo and a toothbrush, the rinse it with soap and water if needed, but just wiping it off works too. I'm sure there are better options out there, but gojo works for me and I always have some around.

Martin

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Andreas

I have had good success with decreasing motor parts by using a water soluble "Heavy Duty Degreaser". There are several brands, the last one I purchased was by Zep Commercial.
I use a mechanics bath for engine parts but I am sure a 5 gal plastic pail would be fine.
Remember to rinse well in water and then dry with a heat gun (hair dryer ok) to prevent rust development

Bruce

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

alang wrote:I have been using mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, etc to clean mainsprings and other parts that are heavily crusted with old graphite grease and dirt. Since I moved my workshop from the garage to the basement I would be interested in other options which are less hazardess. Carburator cleaner or brake cleaner seem just as volatile and flammable. What do you use and how do some of these safer products work for you? Are there real alternatives?

Thanks
Andreas

I actually do @ 75-80% of my cleaning and de-greasing with hot water and dawn dish detergent. I have a variety of brushes, steel, brass and plastic to scrub with as well as scotch-brite pads. I dry the parts and wipe down with an oil soaked rag to prevent any surface rust until re-assembly and greasing.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Clean them outside?

alang
VTLA

Post by alang »

JerryVan wrote:Clean them outside?
That's what I've been doing over the summer, but it's quite tedious to carry the stuff all through the house in messy clothes and black greasy hands. Also not really a good solution for winter or when it rains, which tends to be when I have time to work on my machines.

Thanks
Andreas

alang
VTLA

Post by alang »

Bruce wrote:Andreas

I have had good success with decreasing motor parts by using a water soluble "Heavy Duty Degreaser". There are several brands, the last one I purchased was by Zep Commercial.
I use a mechanics bath for engine parts but I am sure a 5 gal plastic pail would be fine.
Remember to rinse well in water and then dry with a heat gun (hair dryer ok) to prevent rust development

Bruce
Thanks Bruce. I have tried a couple and wasn't really satisfied and caked on graphite grease. Maybe I'll have to give the Zep Commercial a try.

Thanks again
Andreas

alang
VTLA

Post by alang »

Mormon S wrote:While gojo is good for cleaning wood, it also conveniently helps in releasing grease from motor parts. I clean the spring and barrel with gojo and a toothbrush, the rinse it with soap and water if needed, but just wiping it off works too. I'm sure there are better options out there, but gojo works for me and I always have some around.

Martin
I use GoJo and GooP quite a bit as well, but was hoping for something to soak it in for a longer period. I also clean the barrel with a toothbrush, but for the whole spring I don't have the patience to do that ;)

Thanks
Andreas

alang
VTLA

Post by alang »

RSStone wrote:
alang wrote:I have been using mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, etc to clean mainsprings and other parts that are heavily crusted with old graphite grease and dirt. Since I moved my workshop from the garage to the basement I would be interested in other options which are less hazardess. Carburator cleaner or brake cleaner seem just as volatile and flammable. What do you use and how do some of these safer products work for you? Are there real alternatives?

Thanks
Andreas

I actually do @ 75-80% of my cleaning and de-greasing with hot water and dawn dish detergent. I have a variety of brushes, steel, brass and plastic to scrub with as well as scotch-brite pads. I dry the parts and wipe down with an oil soaked rag to prevent any surface rust until re-assembly and greasing.
I would have never thought that Dawn would be strong enough to remove caked on graphite grease. I'll have to try.

Thanks
Andreas

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

alang wrote:
RSStone wrote:

Thanks
Andreas

I would have never thought that Dawn would be strong enough to remove caked on graphite grease. I'll have to try.

Thanks
Andreas
It takes a little scrubbing and scraping, but I figure if it's gentle enough for baby ducks covered in oil sludge it's good for this stuff too :-) :-)