Mainspring cleaning products?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Mainspring cleaning products?

Post by Inigo »

I've tried water & mild soap, triclorethilene, trementine, solvent, petroleum, and everything cleans, using more or less elbow grease, or time with parts submerged in the liquid. Some of those attack the metals, for they loose that 'greasy luster' and become 'too clean'. The most severe case is the springs; herein that greasy luster of steel must not be removed... For gearing it doesn't mind, for the new grease will remain between the teeth. But plain steel in springs must slide....
Last time, I cleaned gearing and springs with one of those WD40 style oily cleaners. This helps removing old cluttered grease and graphite, but seems milder and kinder, specially with springs, and they don't loose that luster. I will attach to this, plus the usual old teethbrushes, brass brushes, some steel wool, and much elbow grease. I'm glad it didn't result too tiring, as I was able to clean a complete two spring motor in some 3-4 hours. And parts didn't loose that luster.
I've ALWAYS noticed that a motor becomes noisier after dissassembling, cleaning, regreasing and reassembling. Dunno if it's me, incapable of reassembling the motor just at the same working point it was before, or if it's removing the old grease that was adhered filling the worn out parts. Now tend to think that if the motor is silent and works, it's better to oil it and let it alone. Perhaps only a superficial cleaning with an oily cloth to remove dirt from the most visible parts, just to make it appear tidy, and to be able to handle the motor without becoming oneself full of grease, but no more.
I did so only with one machine, the Aeolian-Vocalion, and it works like a champ. But the old style hmv motors have become all noisier after a thorough cleaning. It's not the case of the more modern hmv motors 32, 34, 59 and 270, nor the Garrards. But the others... specially those single and double-spring HMV pre-1921 motors... I cannot adjust them to be silent, and they seemed silent before overhauling! feel guilty for that! :oops:
Inigo

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

alang wrote:I have been using mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, etc to clean mainsprings and other parts that are heavily crusted with old graphite grease and dirt. Since I moved my workshop from the garage to the basement I would be interested in other options which are less hazardess. Carburator cleaner or brake cleaner seem just as volatile and flammable. What do you use and how do some of these safer products work for you? Are there real alternatives?

Thanks
Andreas
Purple Power Avbl any auto parts store or Walmart
Attachments
pw.jpg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Thank you. Still sounds a bit hazardous, but I will give it a try some time.

Andreas

Phonoboy
Victor II

Post by Phonoboy »

Have you tried Simple Green. It should work just fine, and without any noxious fumes.
This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender-Pete Seeger.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Vegetable cooking oil will dissolve old grease and oil without any of the toxic, carcinogenic, or flammability issues of petroleum distillates.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Phonoboy
Victor II

Post by Phonoboy »

JohnM wrote:Vegetable cooking oil will dissolve old grease and oil without any of the toxic, carcinogenic, or flammability issues of petroleum distillates.
Realy? I'll have to try that. It would be the way to go, depending on effectiveness.
This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender-Pete Seeger.