Issue wih a Busy Bee disk motor

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
phonodesbois
Victor II

Issue wih a Busy Bee disk motor

Post by phonodesbois »

I have an issue with a Busy Bee disk motor : I wind the spring, release the brake and, most of time, I have to remove the platter, open the cover and move just a little bit the governor flange in order to have the motor running. I'm pretty sure it's a governor issue but how can I get access to the governor support which is below the large wheel of the winding mechanism ?
The motor is not perfectly clean but I changed the spring grease and already made basic cleaning.
(I would prefer to dismantle the motor in order to clean all parts but it doesn't seam to be so easy...) Any suggestions ? (living in Europe, Busy Bee machines and experts on such machines are scarce).
Thanks all for your help!

Dave D
Victor IV

Re: Issue wih a Busy Bee disk motor

Post by Dave D »

I think you will need to totally disassemble the motor to do a proper job. Be sure you have some way to retain the spring since there is no spring barrel. Having a main spring winder is a luxury that I have.
Dave

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Thanks Dave, that was my feeling too but I would have prefered avoiding dismantling the motor! So, I will keep this project for the winter season and be very carefull with the spring.
Jeff

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Dave, what type of spring winder do you have? I have one for clock springs but it's not big enough for most phono springs.

Jim

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

phonojim wrote:Dave, what type of spring winder do you have? I have one for clock springs but it's not big enough for most phono springs.

Jim
I have the Ollie Baker type and I have used it on open works type (Columbia AU, etc ) without any issues. I made some arbors to allow it to be used on phono springs. The stock set up for clocks won't work.