Reproducer Rubber Seal Replacement

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
WRDancey
Victor Jr

Reproducer Rubber Seal Replacement

Post by WRDancey »

Hi All,

I've been working on fine-tuning my 1920's era hand wound PAL Phonograph, and have decided that the rubber seal which helps connect the reproducer and crook (sound tube) is due for replacement. The old seal has nearly worn into two separate pieces and is cracking all over. I believe this is partially responsible for the reproducer not staying in the position I set it to (for example, it has slid down when playing records) despite use of the set screw.

So, what are the materials and procedure necessary for performing this repair? Where might I source materials? From what I've been told, the reproducer in question is a Toman, and I have attached a picture of it. Note the condition of the rubber seal in the picture.

Thanks for the help,

W.R.
Attachments
IMG_8665.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Reproducer Rubber Seal Replacement

Post by phonogfp »

If it were mine, I'd take the entire sound box to my local NAPA or other auto parts store, and ask them if they have similar tubing. (I wouldn't worry about finding red, but who knows...?) With the original tube in the sound box, the auto parts guy can accurately measure OD and ID to find an exact or very close match. You want it soft and supple - - remember that your original has hardened over the years.

If you have a friendly auto mechanic, you might try him first. Chances are, if he has the size you need, he'd cut off a short piece and just give it to you.

Good luck - -

George P.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I would search the pages of McMaster - Carr, www.mcmaster.com, for rubber tubing.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I had a similar problem like this. A good hardware store sells sheet rubber in either black or red. I look for 1/16" thickness. Also get red RTV silicone seal to hold the rubber in place. Cut a piece the right width of the reproducer back. Then cut to length. Apply a thin coat of the RTV into the back. Then put the rubber strip into the back. Let it cure for 24 hours. This method will work with similar reproducers.
Harvey Kravitz