Brunswick Ultona adjustment question

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here

Brunswick Ultona adjustment question

Post by Guest »

I purchased a lovely Brunswick Model C with the Ultona reproducer last fall. I'm entirely new to antique phonographs, so I'm taking things slowly, but trying to learn and do any necessary work on my own. I disassembled the tone arm over the winter in an attempt to adjust it for playing Victors (I don't have any intention of playing Edison's or Pathés on it), as I noticed right away there was dust on the needle after playing, but the arm was completely bound up, even after applying some 3 in 1 oil. I finally had my husband assist me and he managed, after a lot of struggle, to loosen it. So we finally have that properly adjusted (per the Brunswick Ultona manual), except for that there is no mention in the manual of the screw on top rear of the tone arm. It doesn't exist in the illustrations either. Puzzling... Can anyone tell me how that screw should be adjusted for playing lateral cut records?

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Brunswick Ultona adjustment question

Post by Brad »

If you are refering to the screw at the back on top the is centered on the pivot point for the tone arm to move side to side, this just holds the arm to the base (and allows the arm to pivot). Only adjustment required is to insure that the arm can move across the record without binding and it is not too loose to allow an air leak which will reduce reproduction efficiency (at least as you can hear).
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?